Featured Canoe Cups, From the Fur Trade in Canada?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by NewEngland, Oct 21, 2024 at 2:43 PM.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I found three handmade wooden cups all strung together with leather strips. I separated them and thought at first they were South American, but after doing some reading, I think they are North American "Canoe Cups" possibly made by trappers or their Native guides to use as they travelled on water so they could scoop up water to drink. The carved toggles were used to attach to their belt so they would always be handy. One is carved of a knobby burlwood with lots of natural bumps and has fish handle with its tail wrapped around the cup and a little carved wooden canoe toggle. The next is carved with two fish that wrap around the cup and are attached at their heads with leather straps. The little one is also carved wood and also has a carved toggle and leather strap. I'd like to know their age, what region they are from and most importantly, if they are valuable and should I bring them to an auction house? I've seen prices from $200 to $3500 online. Thank you.

canoecupsresized.jpg canoecupsBbresized.jpg canoecupsBcresized.jpg canoecupsaresized.jpg canoecupsbresized.jpg canoecupsCaresized.jpg canoecupsCderesized.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The bottom photo looks like a Swedish kuksa cup.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Voyageur stuff is cool, and it has to be rare.

NewEngland and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Fantastic pieces Komokwa !

7. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I found this description of Canoe Cups online:
    Canoe Cups:

Every voyageur carried a "tasse d'eau" or water cup in his belt so he could easily dip up a drink during long stints of paddling.

The canoe cup was every voyageur's opportunity to create a humorous or decorative piece of folk art. Usually made from a burl cut from a sugar maple, they were imaginatively carved, painted, or burned to reflect the taste and skill of each owner. The toggle which slipped under the sash to hold the cup was often made in the shape of a canoe, keg, man, or beaver.

8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Fairytale to sell tourist tat

Draft saved Draft deleted