Candle holder silver? Indian?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bekilou2, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Bekilou2

Bekilou2 New Member

Screenshot_20210818-132249_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210818-132232_Gallery.jpg Hello all,

I have found two candle holders they look pretty old and I believe they are wrapped in silver, the base is wooden, has anyone seen anything like this before?

2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi,maybe add a photo of the how is looks underneath.

Bekilou2 likes this.
  3. Bekilou2

Bekilou2 New Member

Here is the bottom, not sure if they had a cover or not as they seem to be very old and well used

Attached Files:

Boland likes this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wait for the other members (who really know their stuff to come along) Sorry but I personally don't think they are very old and don’t think that is silver (maybe tin or other type of metal foil) They also don’t look particularly heavy. I think they are fairly modern and dressed up for decor (but again please Iam really a novice)

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

The metal does not look like silver. It's too... 'grey'. I can't comment as to their age, but I'd agree in as much as them being some white metal (tin or something) being wrapped around a wooden interior.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is there script on the ring just above the base.?

judy likes this.
  7. Bekilou2

Bekilou2 New Member

I can't see any writing on it or marks anywhere but it does have alot of wax around it so it could be hiding just not sure how to get rid of all the built up wax

8. Bekilou2

Bekilou2 New Member

It's much more silver in person although the metal around the base does feel different to the metal around the pole so not sure

judy likes this.
  9. Bekilou2

Bekilou2 New Member

Thanks

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not silver. Not old.

Bekilou2 and George Chaney like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't look Mexican. They'd be tin if they were.

Debora

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look like tin to me, but I just read they have a wooden base, so probably not Mexican.

Bekilou2 likes this.
  14. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I had a more modern gift box for a ring from india wrapped in gold/gilt tin sheet glued over wood. This looks to be along the same lines in my opinion. Wrapped tin material glued to the wood.

Bekilou2 likes this.
  15. Bekilou2

Bekilou2 New Member

Here is a closer version but you guys are probably correct with it not been anything special haha

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted