Canadian Pottery ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OldWhitby, Jan 28, 2021.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I know there's a fair number of Canadians on this site, so this question is directed primarily at them.
    I've been collecting Canadian pottery for more than 40 years and I can nail down most of it but a few pieces ...
    I found this MCM piece a few months ago - my guess is that it is Laurentian ("Canada" plus a number "338" on the bottom).
    Agree? - Disagree? - Any other ideas?
    I call is a Lobster claw Vase? Planter? Very dramatic.
    It is 12" high.

Image285.jpg Image286.jpg Image287.jpg Image288.jpg Image289.jpg Image290.jpg Image291.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is that a white body ceramic? That, in itself, would be unusual.

4. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

5. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

The only unglazed spots are one stilt and a small area nearby. The clay appears to be pale pink. The white spots along the edges are white glaze. One of the reasons I lean towards Laurentian is that they strongly embrace avant garde shapes and glaze techniques but their execution tends to be rather sloppy.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Haven't found that color combination elsewhere. So many companies. A more direct side view might help with image search, and photographed against a neutral background. Image searches seem to lean towards color orientation

Draft saved Draft deleted