Featured Can You Tell Me Anything at All about This Piece?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by morgen94, Sep 18, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I would like to give this away, but would like to be able to tell whomever wants it anything about it. For instance, it suggests to me an organizational or club affiliation, but I don't see any marks on it anywhere.

About how old do you think it is? Of what material are the components made? How was the stickpin part used?

Thank you!
    Lynne

StarPinFront1.jpg

StarPinBack1.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks like a hat pin and brooch. (If there is such a thing.)

Debora

Marote and morgen94 like this.
  3. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

That is a 1950s women's hair brooch. You are right though it is part of an organization and I'd advise you not to display it in the wrong areas.

morgen94 likes this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It would be helpful if you shared what organization you're thinking of, for those of us not in the know.

It looks similar, though different, to THIS Masonic Eastern Star, with the enamel gone. Might be a place to start looking?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 2:47 PM
  5. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

It is a pin that would be worn by the wife of a Grand Dragon. It's colloquially called "The Dragon's Flower" and signals that your husband is a senior Klan member.

You asked.

Marote, johnnycb09 and morgen94 like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Of course I asked, I'm sure that's something many of us here wouldn't know. I'm not finding any examples online for comparison.

Any Jewelry, Marote, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  7. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

For the same reason it's hard to find authentic SS officer memorabilia online, not everyone wants to know they own a symbol from a hate group.

8. morgen94

Oh, MY! I hasten to explain I believe I bought it in a jewelry lot at an estate sale...and I am NOT any Dragon's Flower. So, now what do I do with it? Is there a reputable place/museum/historical society to which I can donate it? if not, it goes into the trash...quickly

Thank you for enlightening me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 3:21 PM
  9. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

What??? don't throw it away, are you mad? That's worth a lot of money to some people, especially older generations remembering "the good old days". You could try going to a gun show and selling it on the side for maybe $800 to $1k to the right buyer.

Dessert58 likes this.
  10. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Huh... Anyway, get some more opinions before you do anything drastic. There's a lot of floral design pins from the Order of the Eastern Star, as mentioned above.

11. morgen94

I would never want it to fall into the 'wrong' hands, so if I can't find a legitimate historical society or museum that might want it for their collection, I will gladly throw it away. The money matters way less to me than the possible implication(s) of this thing.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 4:56 PM
    Any Jewelry, reader, Marote and 3 others like this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That looks like a regular brooch with safety stick pin to me? Not a hair ornament. Stars (and comets) were extremely popular around the period this was made...which wasn't 1950s. Much earlier.

ADL doesn't have this symbol in it's database, and I can't find it in a short search anywhere else in relation to the klan. I'd be very interested to see it recorded somewhere officially.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 3:54 PM
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It's easy to find inauthentic SS material exactly because the symbols are well known enough that there's a market, and fraudsters can make money.

Any Jewelry and morgen94 like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That’s not a fifties back.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that pin looks older....

don't throw it away....... give it away.... here !

we are all the right hands !!;):playful:

kyratango and morgen94 like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The pin hinge says it's 1890s or earlier, and the safety stick agrees. I don't think it has a darned thing to do with the nasties; it was somebody's birthday present for Mommy.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

18. morgen94

I would very much prefer that outcome. Confirming that, though, seems daunting without any markings from which to start.

Marote likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and confirming it's the grand dragons wife jewelry...on the word ...... so far.....of one new member........ with no evidence to back up that claim...

how's that working for ya ?????? :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

20. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Well....this turned into an interesting thread!
    I agree with everyone above, the pin back looks late Victorian.

Marote, morgen94 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted