Can you solve this interesting mystery?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by BSimon, Jul 12, 2021.

1. BSimon

BSimon New Member

Somewhat ironically, my mother gave us this disturbing but really interesting carved wood sculpture for our 20th anniversary. In the years since then I've wondered about its provenance and significance. Is it a ritual object or a tourist object? Is it perhaps from the Congo?
    It depicts an executed man and a woman hanging from nooses. Their hands are tied, which we think indicates they are prisoners and/or slaves. We wonder if the lines on their faces and chests indicate scarring or torture. We wonder if a hole through the center indicates that it held some kind of standard, spear or bow. Thanks for your help! IMG_0522.jpeg IMG_0523.jpeg IMG_0525.jpeg IMG_0524.jpeg IMG_0526.jpeg

Potteryplease and Bronwen like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was Mom's commentary about marriage? (I'd call this a "thanks, I think" present) Not a clue about origins other than not being horribly old.

Potteryplease likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sounds a bit creepy, but I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to explain....I've lightened & enhanced so they can be seen a bit clearer........

IMG_0522-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

IMG_0523-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

IMG_0525-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I've seen documentaries about cultures and tribes that do horrific torturous rites of passage type of tests. And intentional cutting to leave scars in patterns.
    It's been so long ago I don't remember the who where or why.

5. BSimon

BSimon New Member

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Maybe accenting the "'til death do you part" idea???

7. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Is there an animal / image with the lines on the male's chest? A fish of some sort?

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Well,they are hanging from a tree and their hands are bound,Im guessing thats not a good ritual ! There does seem to be matching holes on the branches,I wonder if they held something?

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

No thoughts on terms of age or origin.. I’m still stuck on the part at the beginning that it’s a 20th wedding anniversary gift!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have not seen, and cannot find, anything quite like it. The style of the figures is rather generic, so I can't suggest a specific tribal origin. The surface looks rather artificial. It may be a trick of the light, but it looks like there is white pigment in the recesses (the coils of the rope, and between the toes). I associate this type of treatment with objects made for sale, although it does seem an odd subject for tourists. There is a genre of African tourist art, though, that depicts slaves in chains, with wooden gags and such. This piece may fall into that category.

The only comparable I found was this:
    https://www.genuineafrica.com/African_Fetishes_Bakongo_Hanging_Man_Fetish_5.htm

But I suspect this was also made for sale rather than indigenous use. Nkisi/Nkondi (the Congo figures with magical substances enclosed in receptacles on the figure, sometimes with multiple nails driven into them) are quite popular with tourists and collectors.

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Looking at this a second time I noticed that both of the figures are seated on a platform, so they are probably restrained as opposed to hanging.

12. BSimon

BSimon New Member

Thanks so much for this insight! I was not aware that this was a genre of tourist art, but knowing this , it makes more sense. There is no white pigment. but it is carved in a soft, light-colored wood with a shiny waxy black patina applied.My mother purchased it 24 years ago in a little shop on 1st Avenue in NYC that was probably frequented by interior designers.

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. BSimon

BSimon New Member

I know! I suspect my mom took a dim view of marriage.

14. BSimon

BSimon New Member

Yes, I think you are right on all counts.

Draft saved Draft deleted