Featured Can you help me identify these Russian rings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by madstacks, Jul 27, 2018.

1. madstacks

madstacks New Member

Hi huys, I have two Russian rings I am hoping you might be able to help me date/identify. These would appear to be modern kokoshnik marks but the city letters on the left off the assay marks i cannot seem to match to a city, makers are a mystery too. Thats part of what makes Russian rings interesting to me though!

Here is the first ring, a pretty amber ring..

rsz_dsc_0648.jpg

DSC_0642 crop.jpg

And the second ring, I think a chrome diopside druzy..

hm crop.jpg
    rsz_dsc_06463.jpg

Any help as always is very much appreciated:)

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help but I just wanted to say, fabulous photos!!!!!!

3. madstacks

madstacks New Member

Thank you, Just trying out a new macro lens that really helps with the hallmark pics:)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, great photos. And nice rings, but I can't find the district assay offices for these either.
    I love the egg yolk amber ring. Amber jewellery was usually assayed in Riga or Kaliningrad, in the Baltic regions. The amber ring is of a type still made in the Baltic states today, but the mark is obviously Russian. So maybe made before the independence of the Baltic states?
    Green druzy quartz is not uncommon, but I have never heard of it in combination with chrome diopside, which is also green. There are people on the forum who know more about how stones are formed, and if druzy quartz on chrome diopside is a possibility.
    If it is chrome diopside, the ring dates from after 1988-89.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Hard to see the crystal shape ,but it may be Dioptase and not chrome diopside.

i need help, judy, Mimi89 and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The amber is sweet....nice pics too !!!

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm confused by the mixture of letters on the mark on the first one. The Cyrillic alphabet doesn't have a letter that looks like V. The letter in Russian that sounds like the Latin alphabet letter V looks like B.

8. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Before the Revolution in 1918, the Russian alphabet included a "V" according to my Russian dictionary.

9. Figtree3

Oh, I didn't think of that possibility. I have info on the purged letters and symbols. Will go educate myself. I also have a pre-Revolution children's alphabet book that I can look at. Thanks!

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

The V can also indicate a maker whose first language was not Russian. Not very hard to find in the Baltic region. All three Baltic states have their own languages, all written in Latin script. Kaliningrad is former East Prussia, with a very mixed population, even after the expulsion of the German East Prussians.

11. Figtree3

My alphabet book didn't include that letter, but according to this Wikipedia article, a letter looking like that was eliminated in 1918: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_alphabet

They mention that the letter was very infrequently used even before elimination so that may explain why it wasn't in my alphabet book, which appears to be from the early 20th century and was published by a press in the U.S. that published Russian books.

I also read @Any Jewelry 's post and that includes another possible explanation of the letter.

12. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is from pre-Revolutionary Russia. The 925 mark was introduced only after 1927, as in many other countries. Before that silver was typically marked as 84. I think it is post-1991.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I agree, the style of both is also too recent for them to be from pre-Revolutionary Russia, but I think they were just brainstorming about the letter.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Once again I'm blown away by the knowledge of those on this board and their willingness to share it.

15. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Could it be Roman V?

Draft saved Draft deleted