Can You Help Identify This Tea Set?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andrew S, Aug 25, 2024.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S New Member

This set was originally purchased from an antique store in either Belgium or Germany in the 1960s and brought to Canada soon after. The only marking on the teapot and cups is '578.2.' I’ve tried Google reverse image search with no luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Try Replacements.com
    They have an image search feature.
    Good luck!

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

A bit difficult without any markings and such popular subject matter. It has an Austrian or Polish feeling maybe? Eastern European at a guess.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Technically not tea but coffee pot.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Don't forget to leave a short, 300 - 500 word description to let everyone know about your collectables! This really helps; especially if you are asking a question.

Written by a Reddit AI Bot..........:wacky:

if 500 words helps.....u better get writing ....;)

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Welcome, Andrew. Considering that there is a LOT of art nouveau architecture, etc., in Belgium, it's quite possible that it was bought in Belgium because the handle on the coffee pot is definitely art nouveau in style. However, I think the set was bought new. There might have been a sticker or something on the base which has since been washed off. It's a sweet set, but not very valuable (china sets in particular have gone down in price quite drastically), and I'm wondering if there wasn't a creamer and sugar with the set.

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  7. Andrew S

Andrew S New Member

I wouldn't have guessed it was a coffee pot...thanks everyone!

8. Andrew S

Andrew S New Member

What does a sweet set mean? Thanks for all of the info. I'll have to ask my grandma if there was other pieces

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sweet..= pretty , tasteful, very nice.....

Andrew S and kentworld like this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

It's tall and narrow which suggests coffee. Teapots are short and rounder..

Andrew S and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted