Featured Can you help identify the type of work on these linens?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Marko, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

1. Blue and white-
    Lumii_20231016_171246483.jpg
    2- raised? flowers
    Lumii_20231016_171435314.jpg
    3- Madiera?
    Lumii_20231016_171336922.jpg
    4- a kind of damask?
    Lumii_20231016_172125082.jpg
    Thank you.

judy, KSW, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

IMHO, all 20th century, likely 1930s-60s.
    My guesses:
    #1 and #3: Cutwork embroidery
    #2: Madeira-style
    #4: Damask

I've been told that the chrysanthemums (#2) are indicative of Japanese manufacture. I think it's likely #1 and #3 are Japanese-made, too.

I love the pictorial damask! Anything woven in along the edges? That's were one can sometimes find "Made in Ireland". If not, it's possible that that is Japanese-made, too.

Let's see how right/wrong I end up being... hopefully @Northern Lights Lodge will chime in! She's our expert, I'm simply an amateur collector.

#2 and #4 (due to the pictorial design) would be welcome in many collections. #1 and #3 are much more common and not necessarily desirable.

judy, KSW, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you. 4 has serious hem damage, but the scenery is lovely. It also features grape clusters, reminds me of Italy. No tags.

judy, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Marko and Bluumz,
    (You are too kind Bluumz!) But, I'd say you are pretty correct! I wouldn't disagree with anything you said.

But, I widen your field of possible makers: I have seen similar items (as items #1, 3 and 4) which also could be Italian. ... and #2 could be Philippines...

Fun pieces!
    Cheerio, Leslie

judy, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted