Can someone identify this for me?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cmore79, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

Hey everyone, my stepfather died recently and he was a bit of a “junker” and I am trying to get through some of his stuff. I came across these 2 items and I wasn’t sure what they were. I was told by one person that they might be used for canning and by another person that they might be old lunch pails.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

My pic isn’t loading. Bear with me.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

4. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Size and what is inside.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

Inside has a few stainless steel pans that fit into each other. I would guess they are close to 18 inches tall. Maybe taller?

7. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

If it’s a lunch pail, it would be very large.

8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Vintage catering container. Could be for troops in the field, railway, workers, etc.

Ancient version of this
    [​IMG]

9. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

Ah yes. That makes sense. I can see it being that! Thank you! Are they worth anything?

10. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Welcome, Cmore79. I have one of these - mine is a WWII food carrier, see link below posted here in the Military forum. They also carried blood but were usually marked on the outside as such.

There is info online, not a lot though, and they sell on ohbay fairly quickly. I've never seen any with ribs like yours though so you may get even more (except yours are rusty so maybe not much more? I have no clue, really). Don't paint or clean up though - leave as is and sell that way. Let the buyer do whatever they want with it.

I've yet to sell mine, they are heavy as heck and I don't want to mail. And I don't want to get ripped off either (beware, ppal will always side with the buyer) so still undecided what to do with it. They can go for hundreds to the right person.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/sv135-wwii-army-nesco-mermite-food-carrier-complete.33171/

11. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of soldiers using both my type of carrier and its pans and the one Terry posted. My pans are the flatter kind. Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 9.48.16 PM.png

12. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

13. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

Anyone know what the wooden red thing is in the center of the pic?
    upload_2019-1-9_21-54-55.jpeg upload_2019-1-9_21-54-55.jpeg

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe you should start a new thread for that...

15. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

I’m sorry I didn’t realize that I should have started a new thread. I know nothing about forum etiquette!

Christmasjoy, i need help and Zinnie like this.
  16. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Not a problem. I've only been here a couple months and still don't know half of it. :) And have no clue what the red thing is (is wheel part of it?) but you'll most likely need to pull it out, take more photos, look for mfg info and dates and photograph those too. Give the forum every angle and piece of info you can and answers often come more quickly. ;)

17. Cmore79

Cmore79 Member

I started a new thread about it.

18. komokwa

etiquette...shmedicate..... :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    a new thread is just better because it starts the process and gets fresh eyes on your item.

19. komokwa

Quick learner..!! :playful::playful::playful::playful:

Zinnie, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted