Can Someone Identify these Hobnail Glass Vases?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John R, Nov 5, 2023.

1. John R

John R Member

I bought them side by side at a thrift store, but they do have some notable differences. The one on the left has identical sized rings on the neck, but the one on the right they get smaller as you go down. I could not find a match in Google Lens, so I am thinking of marketing them just as 'Hobnail Glass Vases' because I don't see a marking anywhere on them- and, well, I just don't know.

Lastly, this is my first post here on antiquers.com (besides the introduction). Is this an appropriate question for this 'Pottery Glass and Porcelain' forum? IMG_20231105_145918549 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20231105_145937425 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20231105_145943170 (Medium).jpg

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Yes it is a fine question to ask.
    Welcome here.
    I was thinking perhaps Fenton on your glass items, but not sure.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome!
    Just wondering about their size?

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Hi John. Welcome. These are perfume bottles missing their stoppers. Fenton and Anchor Hocking both made them. The Anchor Hocking pattern is called Moonstone. Fenton Pattern is French opalescent. There is a way to tell which was made by which but don't recall off the top of my head. I suspect the left one is Anchor Hocking and the right one is Fenton

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    John R, Bakersgma, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think my grandmother had something like this. Vanity items with stoppers.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. John R

John R Member

Hi, thanks for the friendly replies.

They are just a tad over 4.5" tall. I was looking at this webpage for some clues which gave me the impression that Fenton Glass would have either:
    • a fenton marking of some sort, or...
    • ... a pontil mark at the bottom.
    Correct me if that is not true.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. *crs*

Not true. Fenton didn't start marking their items until around 1974. I believe this item was produced earlier than that. Fenton wasn't hand blown either, therefore no pontil mark.

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. *crs*

Fenton called theirs French Opalescent. This one is yours on the right. Made for Wrisley. Called it a cologne with wood stopper. Produced 1940-1954 [​IMG]

John R, dayzh, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  9. *crs*

Just a little update on determining which company made which
    Regarding the bottle, you would need to look at the mould seams on the bottom - 6=Fenton, 4=Anchor Hocking.

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted