Can someone help with this mark?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gstar Irish, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Gstar Irish

Gstar Irish Member

Hi all, evening

Can someone with a better eye than me identify this mark please? Is it a silver mark? At the same time, might anyone know how to help me ID this pin (?) box?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you zoom in on the mark? I think it might be Italy, where they notate percentage of plated silver.

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It is Italian, but not plated in the electroplating style. "Riempito" covers a 3-dimensional base in silver, in this case .925 (sterling.)

See the section on this method about halfway down the page in this link.

http://www.silvercollection.it/italianhallmarks.html

5. Gstar Irish

Gstar Irish Member

Thank you both so much

Its R 2-3g 925

Step one in discovering what it is!

Houseful likes this.
  6. Gstar Irish

Gstar Irish Member

If I may ask another question, its looks like a ‘g’ after the 2-3. But it contradicts what is below, as if its silver, it would have a ‘c’ do you think?

“ In the objects partially or totally coated with a sheet of precious metal, the use of putty is allowed to fix the thin sheet to its support, on condition that the density of the putty is not more than 2,5 g/cubic cm. and that its percentage in weight does not exceed 25% of the total weight of the object, and that it is marked with an "R" in a square accompanied by the metal's weight in grams and tenths of gram, followed by the symbol "g" for the coverings in platinum, palladio and gold, and adheres to the conditions illustrated at letter c) for the coverings in silver “

i need help likes this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is no contradiction..... sterling is plainly marked 925 on your piece.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That g is for grams. It is also not inside the square, which is what the explanation you quoted refers to.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like the letters S A above the bear farthest to the left. Would those be the initials of an artist? Or a former owner of the box?

Draft saved Draft deleted