Can someone give me an idea of the value of this 1860's wardrobe?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by kapidr, May 22, 2019.

1. kapidr

kapidr New Member

IMG_5551.JPG IMG_5553.JPG IMG_5554.JPG IMG_5555.JPG IMG_5558.JPG IMG_5561.JPG IMG_5562.JPG IMG_5563.JPG IMG_5564.JPG IMG_5567.JPG My neighbor is moving and she gave me this wardrobe. She said it has been in her family and that it was acquired shortly after they built their farmhouse in 1860.

I don't really have room for it and would like to sell it but I have no idea what to ask for it. Also could anyone identify what company made it?

Could someone give me a ballpark figure on how much I can expect to get for it? I believe it's Oak but I'm not positive.

The shelves were added in later. The sides have hinges so that it appears it could be opened from the sides and of course the front. It comes with a key but the lock does not appear to be in working condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I added a few more photos in comments below

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome kapidr. The furniture folks will be around.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. kapidr

kapidr New Member

Thank you!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Kapidr. You may also want to click on all full images, so we can see your photos better. I think you can do this, by editing your post, clicking Thread tools or more options and going to the bottom of your post and clicking full image all.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. kapidr

kapidr New Member

Thank you!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

We have a hard time selling wardrobes of any type these days. As an antique, the value is diminished because of the modern paint and replaced drawer pulls. I somehow doubt the applied carving at the top is original either. In this market, the paint may help sell it but you will never get "antique" value. Here in my semi-rural Midwest market, we are probably talking a couple hundred, give or take. You may do better (or worse) in your market.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. verybrad

BTW: Based on the construction, I would not take this to be 1860s. Looks more typical of 1890 or so. The extra hinges are probably to allow this to be KD but can't confirm this from these pics. Those metal drawer corner reinforcements are something I have not seen before.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. kapidr

kapidr New Member

Thank you for the reply! This is what I was looking for, I was thinking maybe try to get 100-200 dollars. I didn't want to list that until I knew it was not worth 2,000 :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Aren't those Phillips-head screws in the hinges? I doubt that this armoire/wardrobe is anywhere close to the 1860s. The "shabby chic" paint job doesn't help things either. With the alterations additionally noted above by verybrad, you'd be lucky to get $100 for it in my part of the U.S. midwest (which is not terribly far from verybrad's if I'm not mistaken).

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. kapidr

kapidr New Member

Thank you for the reply.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. kapidr

kapidr New Member

What does KD mean?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. kapidr

kapidr New Member

4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 8.JPG

Here's a few more photos of the hardware and construction. If that helps :) I'm in Florida and my elderly neighbor painted it. I suppose it's kind of beachy. :) Note the lock appears to be on backwards

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the drawer is a home repair. Looks like a Masonite bottom to the drawer and someone's innovative drawer tightening.

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. verybrad

I assume the screws to be replacements. Most everything else about this reads old.

KD = Knock Down

The metal drawer brackets seem beyond the reach of most do-it-yourselfers. Since this came from a farm, it is entirely possible. Farmers are pretty resourceful.

15. kapidr

kapidr New Member

Thank you Verybrad

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted