Featured Can I call this Art Deco?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bookahtoo, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I am about to list this 1932 airline timetable. Do you think I can use Art Deco to describe it? Thanks as always for your help and expertise.

smaller.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd have trouble calling that Art.....;)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

It's design komo, design! :mad::p:p

Any Jewelry, komokwa, mirana and 5 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Book, I think it looks art deco. The typeface and the art work look to me, deco.
    Wait for others to chime in.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see deco as well.

6. Bookahtoo

Thank you pearls and Johnny.
    I just listed this one that was printed 3 or 4 months earlier, and I didn't call it anything (so ugly):

smalleryellow.jpg

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I don't think it is ugly at all.
    I believe that airline was sold to Eastern at some point.
    People who collect airplane stuff, I think it would make a cool addition.
    Good Luck.

8. Bookahtoo

Yeah - Eastern stole them away during the great air mail scandal of 1933.

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Art Deco.

Debora

Any Jewelry, mirana and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree that the typeface and depiction of the clouds look deco. The plane itself maybe not so much.
    Cool piece of history!

mirana and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2024-1-4_17-20-47.jpeg upload_2024-1-4_17-20-47.jpeg upload_2024-1-4_17-20-47.jpeg

I see this as way more Deco.....in it's design....

pearlsnblume and Bookahtoo like this.
  12. Bookahtoo

From Wikipedia:

The air mail scandal began when an officer of the New York Philadelphia and Washington Airway Corporation, known as the Ludington Airline, was having a drink with friend and Hearst newspaper reporter Fulton Lewis Jr. Ludington Airline, established and owned by brothers Townsend and Nicholas Ludington, began offering an hourly daytime passenger shuttle on September 1, 1930, just two weeks after Eastern Air Transport (EAT) began its first passenger operations between New York City and Richmond, Virginia. Using seven Stinson SM-6000B tri-motors, Ludington Airline became the first U. S. airline in history to make a profit carrying nothing but passengers. However it began operating in the red when the novelty of cheap air travel wore off as the Great Depression deepened and competition with arch-rival EAT intensified. The Ludington officer mentioned to Lewis that in 1931 the carrier could not get a proposed "express service" air mail contract to extend CAM 25 (Miami to Washington via Atlanta) to Newark, New Jersey, not even by submitting a low bid of 25 cents a mile. Ludington's general manager, former Air Service aviator Eugene L. Vidal, eager to curtail Ludington's growing losses with a lucrative mail subsidy, had offered the extremely low bid to Brown in order to demonstrate Ludington's commitment to the route extension plan "at or below cost."[11][12][n 3]

Lewis did not think much about the conversation until he later read the Post Office Department's announcement that had awarded Ludington's arch-rival the CAM 25 air mail route contract at 89 cents a mile as measured against Ludington's extremely low bid. By February 1933 Ludington was virtually bankrupt and sold out to EAT for a "bottom basement price of $260,000."[13] Lewis sensed there was a story to be written. He brought the story to the attention of William Randolph Hearst and, although Hearst would not print it, was given approval to investigate the story full-time.[n 4]

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Ok komo. :oops:

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely Deco.

Maybe it's the latent seller in me but even if it wasn't Art Deco, I would use the keywords if it was in the style or era, just to shamelessly get more eyeballs on it.

The artist in me scrolls auctions scolding mis-applied art movements all the time though. :playful:

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Or Streamline Moderne, mostly associated with design from the 1930s

16. Bookahtoo

Streamline Moderne - I like it.

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The typeface is straight deco, but the artwork is kind of garden variety Moderne. I'd be OK with calling it Deco, because Moderne isn't a keyword anyone really uses. Besides, the airline collectors will not care as long as it's their airline. Pennsy collectors will want it because it's Pennsylvania Railroad and won't give a rip about the graphic style.

pearlsnblume and mirana like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Darn - I forgot about the railroad connection!

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Art Deco, so you're fine to call it that.

Art Deco isn't fine art, it is short for 'arts décoratifs', decorative arts or applied arts. It is a design movement started by decorative artists, not fine artists.
    This was clearly designed by a decorative/graphic artist who understood and used the elements and style of the Art Deco movement, so it's a 'yes' from me.:)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  20. Bookahtoo

Thanks Any.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted