can anyone tell me where this was made, Crusader coin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nancy Neal, May 16, 2017.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

Found this Crusader coin at bottom of box, the folder gives information re what it is? date and ? where it was used, on searching I saw several which is similar, but has little differences, so am wondering about origin thanks for any insights, also the black spot on one side is this from condensation? again thanks IMG_6697.JPG IMG_6700.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is a Crusader coin?
    I don't know much about coins, but I would expect to see a cross. This one has an Islamic star and Arabic writing. The region could be right, but then this would be from the other side of the conflict.
    It is nice, whoever made it.

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It looks like the Jewish Star of David.

4. Any Jewelry

The Star of David is made of two triangles:
    [​IMG]
    The open six pointed star is used a lot in Islamic art, but they also use the Star of David, as well as the five-pointed Seal of Solomon, also a star shape.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Looks like Arabic writing to me also. I have no idea what it says or whether upside down or not. Then again Hebrew is a mystery to me also. One of the sides may have an ankh and possibly an animal head. Islam frowns on portraying animals and humans, but there is lots of Islamic art with both. I have tried to clear up and rotate the pics in hopes of seeing them better - not much luck. There is a sister coin forum to these forums. I'm not sure how to get to it. There may be a link to it on the home page??? Someone over there may be able to help on this coin.

--- Susan

CoinFace-combo.jpg

Possibly an ankh on the left and an animal on the right:
    CoinFigs-combo.jpg

CoinRev.jpg

6. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

thank you all, posted on Coin talk and they helped me find it

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So what is it? Don't just leave us hanging!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Pretty please? I'd love to know as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted