Featured Can anyone tell me an approximate age for this egg basket? TYIA

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 7, 2023.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

3D8B3C5A-CBD9-4331-BDD7-3588D67EAB11.jpeg 4BA057A9-755A-4867-B723-AC60F3615BC9.jpeg 40BCF91E-8708-4C8D-9EEF-078F73666299.jpeg 139595C3-7760-4534-AC36-C0739CA3052C.jpeg F5083D24-71A8-4D79-996E-F259BADD4BFA.jpeg 33C00482-3B9D-40EE-B2DF-4ED8BB8E04A3.jpeg

Hi,

Hoping for some help with this. I think it’s an egg basket?

Thank you

2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s a cool little thing. Great character. Yes must be a egg basket. Obviously it looks 100% handmade/farm made (from what was around/available)

Maybe a bit unique with the sticks used in construction. I have no idea as to age. So I will guess 30’s-40’s (just for the hell of it) Other members will have a better idea.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ummm, what you doin with that thang....?
    it looks dangerous!

I'd say the age....is unknowable .....unless you can tell where the chicken wire was made....and even then????

Figtree3, gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

A quick search and I couldn’t find one similar (once off thing) The nails cleary has some age. But overall age will probably just always be a guess. Or a ‘Unknowable’ as Komo says. Anyway I like it!

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Have the split rods on the bottom been spray painted gold, or is it just a trick of the lighting?

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

They were and still are I believe people that go around and make bend would furniture and other items from willow saplings at least in the midwest. My uncle in law bought a little child's rocker 40 years ago for my daughter from an itinerate maker..

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Might be as early as the teens...imho.
    High praise for the particularly helpful close-up pics...Quality work!
    Which was common as dirt as late as through WWII in the US, an' much later in Europe.

gauntlettgems and kyratango like this.
  8. gauntlettgems

No, it’s just reflection of light on the actual bark

2manybooks likes this.
  9. gauntlettgems

I thought it was cool and worth the $2. Thank you all. I kinda figured it was old but I love to hear y’all’s thoughts!!!

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted