Can anyone tell me about this ornate side table,

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by nursenancy4, Feb 11, 2016.

1. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

Another storeroom find, I know nothing about furniture ,so am wondering if anyone can shed some light on it, As always thank you all for looking and commenting. table2.jpg table5.jpg table2.jpg table5.jpg table10.jpg

Attached Files:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Tables like this have been made since Victorian times. The details are vaguely renaissance revival / French rococo. Later ones were imported from various countries. The quality of the carving on yours suggests the latter. I remember some coming from the Philippines in the 60s and 70s that were not as good as this. Consequently, I think yours is maybe from the 40s-50s. Italy may be a possible source.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I like the table but I do have a question. The answer is probably obvious to others here but I'll ask anyway just to be sure --

At some point (when it was first made?) did a piece of glass fit into the oval area in the middle of the table?

If not, it seems to me it would be fairly useless as a "table" in front of a sofa or beside a chair because there is nowhere to set a glass or cup or ?????.

4. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

Yes there are grooves for a glass top just over the carvings

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted