Featured can anyone read Russian ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

Russian Icon - can anyone translate?

a.JPG a1.JPG a2.JPG a3.JPG a4.JPG

IvaPan, judy, J Dagger and 3 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Here are a couple currently active members who have volunteered for Russian in the "Translators" thread.

@IvaPan @Aznathalie

IvaPan, judy, Rclinftl and 4 others like this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

judy, Rclinftl, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is actually in an older Cyrillic alphabet that includes several letters no longer extant. Old Church Slavonic, Church Slavic, or something like that. The two people that @Bakersgma tagged are some of the most likely regulars to know how to read it. We have occasionally had others show up. I did also volunteer for Russian on the translators thread but this is not in modern Russian.

IvaPan, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was told the only people who maybe still read Slavonic are a few old Orthodox priests. Thankfully, the writing on Icons is probably pretty standardized.

IvaPan, judy and Rclinftl like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

This is probably completely wrong but Google translate comes up with the following. Which translates as non-female pratias

Screenshot_2023-08-26-09-07-47-62_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7_copy_1151x2558.jpg

Rclinftl, IvaPan and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Old Church Slavonic originated in Bulgaria, so Iva is probably our best bet.;) Bakers has tagged her, and she will help if she has time.

Rclinftl, IvaPan, stracci and 2 others like this.
  9. nastina.nastea

nastina.nastea Well-Known Member

This icon is called "Our Lady of Kazan", or "Mother of God of Kazan", which is in Russian "Икона Казанской Божьей Матери".

Upper left and right corners: MP OY - is a short form from Greek that means "Mother of God"

IC XC - short from Greek that means "Jesus Christ"

And the below line is actually "Mother of God of Kazan" written in Church old Slavonic language.

Rclinftl, KSW, kentworld and 10 others like this.
  10. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any and Bakers!

Nastina is right, this is a version of Mother of God of Kazan. The last line says exactly "Mother of God of Kazan" but the only word that is not shortened, is actually the adjective "Of Kazan" which is the first word of the sentence "Kazanskij" ""Казанский " in modern Russian it should be "Казанской". The rest is "Пресвятой Богородицы" or "Of The Most Holly Mother of God" but the two words are shortened, probably to fit the space. The words are inflected in Genitive case, the old Bulgarian had cases.

I am no expert in Church Slavonic which indeed is the old Bulgarian and originated here but the contemporary Bulgarian Cyrillic is modified (as well as the Russian Cyrillic now) and the language has also evolved, now Bulgarian (almost) does not have cases while in all other Slavic languages there are still cases - e.g. Russian has 6 cases, and in Polish there are even 7 cases.

Anyway, this I can read, also anyone knowing Cyrillic writing language, can read it, too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Rclinftl, KSW, kentworld and 6 others like this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Fig! Actually, for me it is quite difficult to read in Old Bulgarian which is actually Church Slavonic as it existed and holy books were written in it more than 1000 years ago (in IX century AD). There is a story behind Old Bulgarian being Church Slavic but it is too long to be written here.

Rclinftl, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Actually, as far as I know, Church Slavonic is being studied at our Theological gymnasium or Seminary in Sofia, so I guess most of its alumni can read it.It is necessary for them in order to study the old religious texts.

Rclinftl, KSW, Potteryplease and 3 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cool! I'm happy to hear that.

KSW and IvaPan like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Rclinftl, nastina.nastea, KSW and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted