Can anyone read Chinese /Japanese hallmarks?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by evelyb30, Oct 26, 2016.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DSCF3093.JPG
    This shot was small enough to load; the ones of the bracelet will need resizing. It's half of the clasp on a very short but heavy bracelet. I have a feeling it's better than sterling, given the wear, but I don't read Asian languages worth anything. It doesn't look like a standard Japanese mark, but what do I know?

2. evelyb30

3. evelyb30

I bought it for about melt if it's sterling.

4. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Upside down, it's marked 利興紋銀 "Li Xing Wen Yin [Sterling Silver]."

("Li Xing" is the modern reading of this name; as an old shop name it probably would have been different.)

Edit: Looking at this again, I suppose it's possible the first character is 和 not 利, which would make the name He Xing. It's hard to tell because the mark was made with a well-worn chop.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. evelyb30

1. Thanks! I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find anything on those names.

2. Does this style of bracelet have a Chinese name? Or is it just a bracelet?

6. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about jewelry, Chinese or otherwise, but if you put these characters into Google Images you'll find a lot: 泰银手链 . Literally, that means Peaceful-Silver-Hand-Chain. Looks like they're more for men. You can also compare "Dragon Bracelet."

7. evelyb30

Not unless the men are VERY small, in this case; it's too small for me.

8. evelyb30

That dangly heart tells me this is for a woman too. Most men wouldn't put up with that thing swinging about.

9. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

NOT to go off topic, but you would be surprised at the current trends in men's jewellery. Lots of white & black sapphires, diamonds, dangling things, etc. Check out King Baby and Steven Webster. Bubba Bling fa showa.........

11. evelyb30

Uhmm, I think I'll pass.:) Then again, if I can find some of it cheap enough at a rummage sale....

Draft saved Draft deleted