Can anyone identify who is shaking the Dalai Lama's hand?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by LittleLACollector, Mar 25, 2022.

1. DLIMG_6176.PNG I'm not sure where or when I took possession of this photo, but I don't recognize anyone but the Dalai Lama. I researched his visits abroad and the first to the USA was in 1979, which would have made him 44 years old, I think he looks younger. Any help would be appreciated, date, location, identification of guests.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2022
    Figtree3 and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

He looks a little like Carl Sagan, but not sure that it's him. The hair looks a bit different. The loose suit hides his body type a bit but I think Sagan was thinner. They did meet in 1991, as has been publicized. https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2007/10/meeting-two-minds-carl-sagan-and-dalai-lama

The loose-fitting suit on the man is reminiscent of the 1980s or early 1990s. The Dalai Lama does look young-ish, but he could be 44, imo.

What can you tell us about the photo itself? Sepia seems a bit odd in the coloring. It's more reminiscent of a much earlier time. And of course, as far as I know this could have been taken in another country besides the U.S.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The part in his hair was on the other side.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I know. Hair parts can be changed upon occasion. I did write "the hair looks a bit different." Mostly I was referring to the fact that Carl Sagan's hair did not look at all curly or wavy as the man's hair is in the photo. Thinking of possibilities is part of the research process. I was just trying to get the thread going.

I still have questions regarding this. First, the date is a question. Somebody (not me) could do a search for photos of the Dalai Lama at different ages to estimate. Second question has to do with the photo itself. Odd coloration for a newer photo.

I won't remove my previous thoughts on Sagan, since that would confuse the thread.

5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The King looks taller than the person in the first picture.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, not King Michael.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not him. I looked for a profile picture and the nose is wrong.

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It appears to be a reception line of some sort, rather than a one-on-one meeting with a head of state.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Victor Mature?

Draft saved Draft deleted