Can anyone identify what this is?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Nic2021, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

Hi, this item was in my father’s possessions- I can’t figure out what it is or how old it might be. Does anyone have any ideas?
    upload_2022-4-29_11-46-3.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-29_11-46-17.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-29_11-46-34.jpeg

stracci, Boland, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

https://frenchgardenhouse.com/item_9410/Antique-Apothecarys-Set-of-Bronze-Nesting-Weights.htm

From that site:
    Antique Apothecary's Set of Bronze Nesting Weights with shaped hinge and handle, and four Troy weights in different sizes fitted to form one weight. The Troy weights were originate in Troyes, France. This little nest has fine details and a beautiful patina. An apothecary was a medical professional who made and sold medicines to physicians and patients. {Their herbal medications and investigations were the basis of modern chemistry and pharmacology.}

The nested cup weights were designed to make the transport of weights, essential for most trade transactions, more convenient. The idea dates back to Romand times, and was used for apothecary weighing, as well as that of tobacco sales, which at first was thought of as medicinal. Beautiful patina, not polished, as found in Europe.

stracci, Boland, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

Thanks - Looks like exactly the same one is on the first link to the rubylane website - that is described as A set of Continental apothecary's bronze nesting weights, 19th. century. Not stamped or marked. Purchased here in Switzerland. Most probably a Nuremberg set.

sabre123 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@Nic2021 , I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would advise you to look at how perfectly antique nesting weights are finished (for a precise weight), and compare those to the edges on your weights.

During the 1960s and 70s many repro apothecary nesting weights were made in Greece. It is possible they were made elsewhere too.