Can anyone identify this maker?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Justine, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Justine

Justine New Member

I recently stumbled upon this old desk at a thrift shop that I thought would make a great bathroom vanity once its been stripped of its paint. It is made of maple. I don't imagine its worth much, but my interest lies in who the maker is. I found a partial label underneath the top. I've included some photos of the desk itself and the label. Any info you could give me would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

definitely a longshot but... virginia house. they were slightly mad at times.

[​IMG]

3. Justine

Justine New Member

Thanks for your reply. Would Virginia House and the "...Brothers" name on the label be one and the same?

4. alex webb

i would have thought brothers was a retailer since its type writer written whereas arctic is printed. is it painted inside the drawers too? might have been a name burned in. i think brothers would be a short name like gans brothers

5. Justine

Justine New Member

No. The inside of the drawers is not painted. I haven't noticed any other markings. The bottom of the label says "Artic..." I wonder if that word or "article"?

6. alex webb

the only thing i could suggest is that it was once painted or bleached white [pickled] with the ultra modern white metal handles. that combination today is sometimes called arctic.

7. Justine

Justine New Member

Just an update...as I was working on the drawers I found a stamp. It says Jamestown Table Co. NY. Not that that has helped me a whole lot. I can't seem to find much about that furniture maker. Anyone here know of them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Bakersgma and SBSVC like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

There is some info available via Google Books...

To get started, there are bits of corporate info in various dealer publications and the like, starting with the company's founding in 1906 and going on into the late 1920's.

If you're really interested, this 2014 book might be worth finding & reading
    The Jamestown Furniture Industry: History in Wood, 1816-1920

by Clarence Carlson
    https://books.google.com/books?id=2K0jCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=history+of+furniture+industry+chautauqua+county+ny&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidy9u83ZTjAhVJtlkKHeTSAyQQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=history of furniture industry chautauqua county ny&f=false

This page addresses the founding of the Jamestown Table Co in 1906:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=2K0jCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=history+of+furniture+industry+chautauqua+county+ny&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidy9u83ZTjAhVJtlkKHeTSAyQQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=jamestown table co&f=false

And this page gives further info about the development of the company:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=2K0jCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=history+of+furniture+industry+chautauqua+county+ny&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidy9u83ZTjAhVJtlkKHeTSAyQQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=jamestown table co&f=false

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Justine

Justine New Member

Thank you SBSVC!

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted