Can Anyone Identify This Document?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by eastcoaster, Mar 15, 2022.

1. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

d.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg d4.jpg d5.jpg d6.jpg d7.jpg d8.jpg d9.jpg It's a little hard to read. It appears to be some sort of a contract for farm land published in 1828 in Pennsylvania. Is this a deed? What is it called? Are any of the sames in this document known or familiar? Any information would help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2022
    kyratango likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It's a sharecropper agreement. Philip is renting a field from John for a year, in return for a 3rd of the grain. Also a sum of $50 to be paid to the Philip for the services of thrashing and to spread the waste back on the field.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  3. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Do any of the names in this agreement seem familiar? Or were these just ordinary citizens forming an agreement?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

less than ordinary ........

kyratango, Bakersgma and Fid like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The term "sharecropper" wouldn't have occurred to me, but that's what it is. An interesting document, but no idea if it has any value. There were a lot of sharecroppers and, no doubt, a lot of similar documents. Mechanized farming largely diminished the practice.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Also, it is a contemporary copy of the agreement as shown by the seals being drawn on representations rather than than the actual wax seals.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And by "contemporary" you mean the copy was made during a general time range contemporary to the time the original document was written, right? Just trying to clarify for others who may be reading this.

Roaring20s and moreotherstuff like this.
  8. smallaxe

@Figtree3 - yes, it seems like a copy made in the same general time period as the original.

9. Roaring20s

What!? They didn't have copy machines back then? :playful:

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would be of great interest to their descendants.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. smallaxe

Well, Thomas Jefferson did make this, but it didn't really take off.
    [​IMG]

Firemandk, Figtree3 and Roaring20s like this.
  12. Roaring20s

Awesome! I wish I had thought of that!

13. Roaring20s

Misspellings are very common on old documents. Note that the last names of both are spelled differently. Even the name of this small town is. ;)

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Spellings weren't standardized in the USA for another 40 years or so. I'm not really surprised about the mis-spellings.

15. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

That is what I am trying to figure out. Are these "sharecropper agreements" collectable? I can't find much information on them especially something dated this far back. I think it mentioned "horses and Africans" which indicates they may have been slaves or maybe paid laborers. But if they were slaves wouldn't they just call them slaves? I think there is more to this document that I would like to find out about.

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily; IIRC "Africans" was just another way of saying slaves.

17. smallaxe

@eastcoaster - Where did it mention "horses and Africans"? I didn't see anything like that in the document.
    I know that old deeds and such are collectible, but my impression is that folks like the ones with the nice script, seals, and official doodadery on them. And being on velum is good too.
    I imagine that making agreements to rent farmland for a share of the crop has been going on for many centuries. And I think it still goes on, although not like the image we have of sharecropping of old. My great uncle was a sharecropper (the old fashioned kind) in the 1930's.

18. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

I think it mentions it twice. I circled them.
    That makes sense but for one to survive from 1828? I looked but haven't seen anything like this.

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      167 KB
      Views:
  19. smallaxe

I'm pretty sure that sentence reads "...doth let unto the said Philip Rishal his heirs and assigns two fields situated in...". It's standard language that means what he gets out of the agreement goes to his heirs at his passing, and can be assigned to someone else. I've spent a lot of time reading 18th and 19th century script. When there are two 's' letters together, the first one is written like an f, and the second one like an s. Jesse, for example would look like Jefse or Jepe (the the first and second s together sometimes looks like a p).

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The circled places say "assigns" and "heirs and assigns." Handwriting was different then.

stracci, Bakersgma and smallaxe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted