Can anyone help with ID of OLD stuffed Animal?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lighter Karen, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Lighter Karen

Lighter Karen New Member

I just could not resist this dog last week. He was pretty pricey especially considering his hair is shedding, the pelts are VERY dry, there are at least lightly split seams and he has NO EYES!
    I was told he dates back to the early 1900's and came from a family who really didn't believe in giving toys to children. It was this elderly lady's grandmothers. He's a good size about 18 inches long and I was told he may be made from horsehair.
    My questions are as follows
    1) Do you think he is a commercially made piece or a piece of folk art ?
    2) Can you guess as to the type of fur?
    3) Does the Victorian era fit this animal?
    4) What sort of dog would you say? I was thinking some sort of Terrier.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Karen
    the lighter collector

Attached Files:

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

This is a poser. As opposed to anything else, he looks like a terrier. A bit like a Westie, but your little fellow is not all white. (In fact, if you look up the AKC list of terriers, he looks rather like the one at the top of the page -- which doesn't look like any of the dogs listed below. I sincerely HOPE he is commercially made, as the thought of dear old Bowser being made into a plaything rather turns the stomach.

3. Lighter Karen

Lighter Karen New Member

" I sincerely HOPE he is commercially made, as the thought of dear old Bowser being made into a plaything rather turns the stomach."

I guess I should have been more exacting in my description. I DO NOT THINK he is the hide of a real dog or I would have NEVER so much as touched him! But he could have been made from Horse hide (including the fur). The fur is genuine, that I am certain of, but what kind? I was limiting my guess to horse, deer, beaver, even cow. I am not certain. The thought of turning one's pet into a plaything for a child well, that would be cruel beyond belief.

4. silverthwait

Karen: while in a fraitfully chichi gift shop in one of CT's priciest areas, I came across some really cute, soft and furry, little kitties and puppies -- just the right size to fit in the palm of my hand. I picked one up, and I swear! the thing looked at me resentfully. Angrily, even. I dropped it back on the counter, and it flipped over -- "Made in China" on the bottom.

When I got home, I looked them up on the internet, and, guess what...

:jawdrop: :bucktooth: :arghh:

5. Lighter Karen

Lighter Karen New Member

This OLD toy was not made in China. I have seen the animals that you are speaking of and yes, those are sometimes made from the skins of Rabbits, Cats or even man's best friend. This toy was stuffed with hay and sawdust, the pelts are as dry as jerky, very brittle (I found this out while photographing as I almost broke off his tail). It hard to convey age in photos, but take my word for it - this thing is at least 100 years old, if not older.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think later than the early 1900s.
    I think after WWI and pre WWII
    Scotties, Westies, Terriers became very popular because of FDR.

Hide, leather, etc. if stored in a hot attic will dry and become brittle.

7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The leather does not appear to be old.

It is definitely not any of the furs you thought it might be.

If it isn't llama then it's Lassie

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Karen,
    Just have to say when I looked at the new topics it says "Can anyone help with the ID of Old Lighter Karen":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Did you gain weight?????
    greg

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Might be rabbit.

10. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

When I saw it, my first thought was 'that's collie fur' :wideyed:

11. silverthwait

You mean like broccoli?

Peter T Davis and Messilane like this.
  12. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

"When I saw it, my first thought was 'that's collie fur'"

"You mean like broccoli?"

LOL, that was funny ! :hilarious:

13. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Looking at the bottoms of his back feet, it sure looks like mohair to me.

14. Lighter Karen

Lighter Karen New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I might take it to my furrier and see if he knows what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted