Can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by hegan3rd, Aug 21, 2023.

1. hegan3rd

hegan3rd New Member

Resize_20230821_221258_8528.jpg Resize_20230821_221258_8528.jpg Resize_20230821_221257_7524.jpg Would like to know more about this piece if possible. The knob that is on the left drawer is not original. I got it from what I was told was an early Dr's house in Spencer, Indiana.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    Bronwen likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

To my untrained eyes it looks like a 1910-20's dresser w/tiger oak veneer.Does it have a mirror that mounts to it ?

3. hegan3rd

hegan3rd New Member

I didn't see one nor any mounting holes for one.

4. bosko69

There could be some tiny screw holes on the backside near the top.

5. hegan3rd

hegan3rd New Member

Might be. Now that you say something there is some discoloration on the back in a curved shape. There are some holes but I thought they were too small for a screw. I can't find any markings on it whatsoever.

6. bosko69

Beautiful oak veneer.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The undulation of the front is called serpentine. Do you have the missing pulls?

8. hegan3rd

hegan3rd New Member

No. I looked a bit online and can't find the exact pulls anywhere, nor the batwing keyhole covers. Would like to find those.

9. hegan3rd

hegan3rd New Member

Shouldn't there be some mark or label?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a lot of these were made by many different companies.....

11. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

There are companies that sell the knobs and pulls that you are missing. Get the Same ones, so that there are no marks or abrasions from different sizes, etc. Check similar serpentine dressers to make sure. Love the wood on this one!

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with above analysis. I think the only pull that may be original is the lower right. This would not have had glass pulls and the other is too late. Look for some filigree pulls, available old or as reproductions. Here is what a complete similar dresser looks like.

[​IMG]

13. hegan3rd

hegan3rd New Member

If I got period correct pulls and cleaned this up a bit, any idea what it would be worth? If I could find a close match mirror should I get it? Is it worth it?

Draft saved Draft deleted