Can anyone help me identify this (rare?) English porcelain backstamp?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joejoejoe, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Joejoejoe

Joejoejoe New Member

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

I am 99% sure it is English, but I’m struggling to verify my items.

Attached Files:

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers! Yes, your cup looks English in shape and decoration. I do not recognize the crown mark, but would hazard a guess that it was made in Staffordshire, late 19th c.

Figtree3, bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

A pretty little fluted teacup! The handle appears to be "angular" shape. A pity about the crack... and I presume no saucer?
    I agree that it looks English, many companies used a crown in their mark.

5. Joejoejoe

Joejoejoe New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. My grandmother lived in the Staffordshire & Shropshire areas. I have a whole set of this and most in excellent condition. I have done as much research as I can on the crown but it doesn’t seem to fit with any I found online. I’ll keep hunting! The pattern is so pretty and delicate

6. Joejoejoe

Joejoejoe New Member

A pretty jug from same collection

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Joejoejoe

Joejoejoe New Member

say_it_slowly likes this.
  8. Joejoejoe

Joejoejoe New Member

A mini creamer?

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

They do mention that sometimes it only has the crown. I don't know if yours is a Wild piece or not but that website has lots of information and many patterns.

For example from that site, this appears quite like yours. If I understand correctly, the mark shown dates just after the simple crown stopped being used. I would wonder if they continued production of a same or similar pattern with the new mark....but don't know.

upload_2024-6-20_18-30-48.png

Yours
    [​IMG]

kentworld, Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  10. Joejoejoe

Joejoejoe New Member

That is very similar!

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think SIS is on to something -- could very well be Royal Albert famous for its "Country Roses" pattern. If it's post 1891, I wonder why England is not marked, but no rule is hard and fast. Maybe produced for the local market.

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree that the RA crown does appear to be the closest design. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted