Can anyone help date this table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by daniel 5, Jul 30, 2017.

1. daniel 5

daniel 5 New Member

Hi i have a Jacobean style table here.

There are some screws here and there and I'm trying to work out if they are original or put in after. The table is a pineapple legged Jacobean "style".

Its old but not sure how old. Im aware there are some pretty blatant repair works to the top frame. I'm no furniture expert so looking forward to hearing from you guys and learning. 20170730_115813-min.jpg

Any information is as always very helpful and much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone. Dan 20170730_115717-min.jpg 20170730_115724-min.jpg 20170730_115808-min.jpg 20170730_115827-min.jpg 20170730_115846-min.jpg 20170730_115839-min.jpg 20170730_115832-min.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Probably 1920s Jacobean Revival.

James Conrad, lloyd249 and daniel 5 like this.
  3. daniel 5

daniel 5 New Member

By probably how confident ? thanks for the reply. Also any clue to its value? i do have a top that goes with the table. Thanks afantiques!

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

May 3rd, 1926 @ 2:50 P.M. EXACTLY! J/K , i have no idea really but thinks afantiques is correct, 20th century, Jacobean Revival.
    "The table is a pineapple legged"
    Those are called "orbs", popular in the Elizabethan period.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Machine tooling is what I see. Not available in Jacobean times.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Did they ever hide jewels/money/or such in those bulbous style legs??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  7. James Conrad

LOL, no, i don't think so. Those orbs were very popular in Elizabethan times in the UK, usually carved as a decorative feature.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, one can always hope!!!!:):):)

9. James Conrad

LOL, yeah, i hear you. Sometimes referred to as "mellon supports" or "cup & cover", they were often heavily carved, a way for ye ol wood carver to show off his skills which, during that period were considerable. I call them elizabethan orbs, just easier all around!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

As my dear old grandad used to say "Wishin aint gettin" ! Another thread wont make this a 300+ year old table. AF and others havent steered you wrong,OP.

James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

My first clue was the melon carvings....obviously laminated of more that one piece of wood......in the original period it would have been crafted of a single "trunk" of wood. Thick pieces of wood were much more available then, as opposed to this century.

daniel 5 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. James Conrad

Here are a couple period Elizabethan tables
    eliz1.jpg
    eliz 2.jpg

daniel 5 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have looked at both threads and see nothing to contradict what you have been told by others here. Still have not seen the top. Think this is an important detail to have been omitted.

14. James Conrad

This is way off thread & probably against forum rules but for anyone interested in period early oak furniture, Paul Fitzsimmons operates Marhamchurch Antiques across the pond. Gorgeous stuff! i only wish it was american!
    http://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted