Can anyone give me info about this item?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Pablo Hernandez, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Pablo Hernandez

Pablo Hernandez New Member

I found this in one of the attics of a house I worked in about two years ago. At first it seem as a neat collectible since I have a love for retro items. Its not until recently the question of its origin and its use has been itching my head. If anyone has any information about it i would love to hear it. It seems odd to me since the doors are placed in the middle not allowing much freedom to the hands inside the cabinet. The whole inside is red fabric and the roof fabric has been disconected but nothing a few nails wont fix.

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Pablo! You are our 1000th member!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pics aren't very clear. I think probably Asian or Indian in origin and relatively modern. Better pics might persuade me otherwise.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome 1K! :)

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What are the dimensions ? I think Brad is right,not too old. But its attractive and a good size,and for free you cant beat the price. I think it is just a cabinet that someone decided to line,who knows why .

KingofThings likes this.
  6. GemsandTreasures

GemsandTreasures New Member

Ive seen a few of these that were originally used for tea storage, but would need a few more pics. I suspect this is a newer copy meant to hold jewelry.

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have seen these called Asian Alter Cabinets. These are made in several Asian countries like Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, China... You can find both antique and new images online. Wayfair.com and Overstock usually have some of the newer pieces like this for sale.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

altar rather than alter. That puzzled me.

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted