Can anyone decipher the inscription on this German regimental stein?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by David Askett, Jun 4, 2017.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Earlier today, I found this glass stein. I can understand a little bit of the inscription but my research now seems to have reached a standstill. I'm hoping my fellow forum members may be able to help.

For the inscription on top of the lid, translating as best I can, I believe it has the crest of Wurttemberg, with its motto "Fearless and True". I do not understand the line above the crest, but it seems to be something about Wurtemmberg being good. Below that, the name Otto Pfund, and then "Soldier in 20th (2nd Wurttemberg) Uhlans "King William I" Regiment. Then, after that, is something I can't understand at all. The inscription ends with "In Ludwigsburg 1883".

The crest on the inside of the lid with the crossed keys is another mystery to me.

If anyone can explain the meanings of the bits of inscription that I don't understand, or recognizes the crest inside the lid, I would be grateful if you would share the information. Thanks!

wurt5s.jpg wurt2s.jpg wurt3s.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Above the crest "Hie gut Württemberg all'Weg". It is an old type of German called Mittelhochdeutsch, it translates to something like: wherever we are, we represent the good of Württemberg.
    The motto dates from the 19th century and attributed to Count Wichmann, it is also above his tombstone. It became a well known motto of the German historical revival period.
    The stein was made to commemmorate Otto Pfund's service in the castle of Ludwigsburg: Diennstzeit auf Ludwigsburg 1883. Ludwigsburg is the name of both the castle and the town, Burg= castle. In this case the word 'auf', on, means he was in the castle.
    By the way, the castle is more like a palace:
    [​IMG]

3. David Askett

Thank you so much, Any Jewelry! Very helpful. :)

Now, is the crossed keys crest inside the lid something to do with the castle?

4. Any Jewelry

Pleasure:).
    I can't find anything about the crossed keys in connection to Ludwigsburg, maybe the crest of his regiment?

5. David Askett

Makes sense - will do some investigation along those lines. If I discover anything, I'll let you know.

6. David Askett

Well, the crest doesn't seem to have anything to do with the regiment, or Ludwigsburg Castle. It doesn't seem to be related to the Kingdom of Wurttemberg, either, except that the blue and yellow crown does look like the crown of the King of Wurttemburg, Charles I at the time. The coat of arms, however, isn't his. He was Protestant - a Lutheran, to be specific - but crossed keys are usually associated with the Catholic Church, aren't they? The "Keys of Heaven", I believe. And, what is that object below the keys - a bishop's mitre?

Curiouser and curiouser...

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The item could be a nutmeg.

8. Any Jewelry

The crossed keys are associated with Saint Peter: "I shall give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven". Because the pope is seen as the successor of Peter (first leader of the church, according to many), the keys are also the symbol of the papacy.
    Saint Peter is also recognized by Lutherans, so his keys can also be a symbol to them. Ludwigsburg has a neighbourhood called Schlösslesfeld, this could be dialect for Schlüsselsfeld, which translates as Keyfield. I don't know if that is of significance.
    The object below the keys looks like a lock to me.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  9. David Askett

Interesting! A couple of new lines of investigation to pursue...

10. Any Jewelry

Don't want to add to the confusion, but what is that below the crown, between the crossed keys? Looks a bit like a fake beard:confused:. Or quipu, the Qechua/Inca tallying system, which doesn't have anything to do with Ludwigsburg.

11. David Askett

Just a wild guess, but maybe a ring with ten keys on it?

Draft saved Draft deleted