Featured Can anyone date this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Diane Bean, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

I have this biscuit jar, but for the life of me cannot date it! Can someone help? IMG_20210428_171002.jpg

judy, pearlsnblume and TraceyB like this.
  2. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Please add some more photos, closer look of the lid, holder and the bottom. It may help

pearlsnblume, TraceyB and Diane Bean like this.
  3. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

IMG_20210428_231641.jpg IMG_20210428_231605.jpg

4. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

On the bottom it is marked OSM Co. Oneida NY

ulilwitch, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

glassluv, patd8643, ulilwitch and 5 others like this.
  6. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

ulilwitch, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone else can help you with an answer to that question. I have no clue, sorry

ulilwitch, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Diane, I don't think that the date range given has much to do with the actual production span for that particular jar.

The info given in the link Kiko provided was originally included in an eBay sales listing.

Certain eBay sales categories are divided into date ranges that allow similar items of similar age to be grouped together - supposedly, to help buyers more easily find specific things. (Listings for Christmas ornaments, for instance, are grouped by age range. The thinking is that someone looking for an original 1930's European blown glass ornament is not likely to be looking for a brand new one from China.)

When listing the OSM jar shown in Kiko's link, the original seller would have chosen from these pre-set eBay age ranges in the selected glass category:

1850-1899
    1900-1940

That seller chose 1900-1940, believing that the jar was made sometime during that range, but not necessarily for the full 40 years of the range.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    ulilwitch, judy, sabre123 and 4 others like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Style is late 19th into early 20th.

10. Crazy glass lady

Crazy glass lady New Member

Osm stands for oneida silver manufacturing, the actual glass itself was made by other companies for osm. I have a vaseline glass bowl made by Jefferson glass for OSM, around 1903. It was likely accompanied by a silver platter. It's likely your biscuit jar was made by Jefferson glass as well.

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted