Can anyone date this table for me?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DC1989, Jul 29, 2017.

1. DC1989

DC1989 New Member

farmtable2.jpg farmtable.jpg underside7.jpg underside3.jpg underside.jpg underside2.jpg Hello!
    I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to learning about antique furniture. I am a frequent estate saler. Anyway, I bought this farm table and am interested in any input from experts about its age and wood type. Guesses on value would be appreciated as well. It is sturdy and heavy. Has a combination of wood nails and newer nails. Primitive little drawer on the underside. Has been painted/varnished. I am excited about this purchase but my husband seems to think it is not as old as I think it is. Thanks in advance for your insight! God bless you all! dmc

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    KingofThings and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like an old farm table....

Go back to your post please and click on EDIT...then at the top of the photos...FULL IMAGE.
    Lots of folks are on smart phones and a thumbnail on a 3 inch screen....don't cut it !
    Then...please help us help you by giving us any and all information you already know....
    Where are you
    where did you get the table
    how long have you had it
    ect...ect...ect......

3. DC1989

DC1989 New Member

Thanks for your response! I bought the table today in San Antonio. Woman I bought it from said her mother bought it in Dallas 20 years ago at an antique store. That's all she knew.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

18th century construction, looks like walnut, is that a drawer in bottom pic? I would guess european in origin.

Any Jewelry and KingofThings like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with any of the above based on what I can see in these pics. How wide are those planks in the top?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Thanks KOMO! :)

komokwa likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to the Forum DC1989!! Your table looks old and nice. What concerns me is in looking at the underside by the drawer.....above it....it LOOKS like I see fiberboard.....hopefully I'm wrong and please correct me if I am!!!! However, I'd still enjoy sitting at it for some lovely meals!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think that's just the photo......

KingofThings likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

How many boards are there in the top? It looks pretty darned old to me too. The inside of those boards shows all sorts of hand work; not even "two blokes in a shed" do things that way any more. I don't know what you paid, but don't even look at the prices of solid wood tables made of similar woods. Unless you need to test heart/vascular function anyway.

Ghopper1924, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That would be great then, 'cuz it IS a lovely table!!!!

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  12. DC1989

DC1989 New Member

Thanks so much for all the input, everyone! Y'all have made my day since I paid a whopping $200 for this table! I did inspect it further and does seem to me that the underside is just very weathered/battered but not fiberboard, but thanks for forcing me to take a second look. The drawer does seem to have been rebuilt at some point and does not quite close correctly. For those who asked about the planks on top, there are two of them and each measures 17.5 inches. The legs, up close, are beautifully marred as well! I think I did pretty well on my first pick! Thanks again! God bless!

13. evelyb30

O to the L to the D, most likely, with boards that wide.

James Conrad, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees and, you could not buy the walnut lumber for $200, which poster paid. I have a queen anne walnut table and it needed a new top, i decided to use a single walnut board, it was 27 inches wide X 5 feet long in the rough and costs....... $550. JUST FOR THE BOARD! To have that board planed, cut, fitted to table & finished to match existing case, another $1000.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  15. evelyb30

....and that is why smart people are buying brown wood these days, at least for their own use.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted