Can anybody help me - What exactly is this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Catherine Spry, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Catherine Spry

Catherine Spry New Member

Recently looking through family china handed down, and came across this piece. Unfortunately, no one seems to know what it is/was used for. It's very small; approx 1 1/2 inches tall and 1 inch diameter at opening. Any ideas?

2handles_RSGermany-min.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty piece! At first glance, based solely on the shape, I was about to type "sugar bowl" and then I saw your measurements. Is there any marking underneath?

Could be the sugar from a doll's tea set?

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Toothpick holder????

4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think toothpicks, as well

Catherine Spry and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Catherine Spry

Catherine Spry New Member

Thanks Bakergma. And yes there is a mark on bottom, and now I'm wondering why in the world I didn't include that also. Sorry about that. Here it is: RSGermany_toothpickholder_mark.jpg

And Aquitaine & Stracci, I believe you're right. I saw several of their toothpick holders designed exactly like this, although not in this poppy pattern. Thanks a bunch. You're all super for all the help you provide!

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You didn't ask but if you didn't already know, this is from Rontgen's book of marks. I do not know if the word "GERMANY" all in caps or the slight variation in the mark makes a difference. Kovel's book of marks shows it with Germany using lower case and otherwise closer but gives a broader description.

Also, while I don't know if these came pre-decorated from the factory, it looks very much like some that were purchased as blanks and decorated by hobby decorators. It was once a very popular past-time and many are quite beautiful.

I actually have hobby decorated pieces that my SIL's mom did back in the 1960-90s time period that are lovely.

img20201223_072057.jpg

Kovel's
    img20201223_073314.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted