Can anybody help me identify this German Stein

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joanne Mayfield, Jul 21, 2022.

1. 20220721_124237_compress92.jpg 20220721_124227_compress87.jpg 20220721_124219_compress62.jpg 20220721_124344_compress27.jpg 20220721_124316_compress74.jpg 20220721_124329_compress9.jpg 20220721_124241_compress20.jpg 20220721_124334_compress75.jpg I picked up this stein at an estate sale. It was marked as a 19th century german stein. I like it but I can not identify who made it. If you can help me I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2022
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

No mark on the bottom?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks to me like a 19th century looking stein , made in 1980 ...

4. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

I thought the 1/2L might be a dead give away to its modernity but amazed to discover that the metric system was made compulsory in Germany in 1876!

I have just discovered this site regarding dating steins. It's quite interesting.

https://antiques.lovetoknow.com/antique-german-beer-steins

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd be a bit concerned about the lid which appears to have a pewter finish on the exterior and be steel on the interior.

Debora

David Kiehl likes this.
  6. I found out they did not have to put Made in Germany on Stein until a law came out in 1887.

7. The outside of the lid is just more oxidized then the inside. I believe this is common with older steins as well.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I believe.....that's not the case here....

9. Yea I don't know.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So that is the bottom you're showing? So deeply recessed, I thought it was inside of the stein. I'm not seeing much age to this. Fairly standard sort of a thing.

11. JunkshopJim

Some of the deep recesses on the bases were used for music mechanisms. Maybe they used the same mold to save money/effort.

LauraGarnet02 and moreotherstuff like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yeah, I had one of those once, but mine was Wade:
    WadeIrishPorcelainMusicalBeerMugMountainsofMourne.jpg

13. JunkshopJim

Mountains of Mourne? Eeeesh. How about a bit of Thin Lizzy? I used to have an Elvis trinket box that played Suspicious Minds badly.

Oh and a Swiss cottage that played Eidelweiss. Talk about stereotyping.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  14. I found it... Thank you'll for all your help.

Attached Files:

komokwa likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Worth more than I expected.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was made compulsory in the Netherlands in 1816, and in France before that.;)

17. JunkshopJim

:wideyed:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course, Germany as a nation didn't exist until 1871.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted