Can any one identify this character?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lark, Aug 13, 2023.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have had this for sale on etsy for a long time. I have three question 1) who is he? I know I have seen him but can not put a name to him. 2) would he have been a salt or an ashtray?3) age? The bottom has a faint red mark that reads czech - slovakia . Thanks. I was hoping he would sell better if i knew who he was. He has a baton behind his back IMG_20220105_122941725.jpg IMG_20220105_123037182.jpg

cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

When the Czecho-Slovak Republic was established in 1918 it was spelled with the hyphen, but in 1921 the government renamed the country Czechoslovakia.

Reminds me of a Keystone Cop but I'm sure he is another character
    Maybe a search for cartoon characters during those years will turn up something?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    cxgirl, Lark, crowleys and 3 others like this.
  3. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Here's one on eBay called "Good Soldier Svejk" for what its worth.

upload_2023-8-13_10-40-30.png

cxgirl, kyratango, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

All of that...in only 20 minutes! You folks are amazing, y'know?

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the dating. I had it in the 1930's so early 1900's is better.

cxgirl, kyratango and *crs* like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

This one appears to be more of a police officer with the hat, uniform style and baton. I will check Švejk out more.

cxgirl and *crs* like this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you all! I looked at images of Švejk and in some the hat is very similar and when wears a peacoat the coat is similar.

cxgirl, kyratango and *crs* like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted