Featured Can’t figure out what this ancient Roman coin has been turned into

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Can’t seem to figure out the purpose of this altered coin, thought money clip, cufflink, bolo tie…. Nothing comes up quite like it, and metal flairs on both sides which leads me to believe there could be more to the piece? Suggestions r greatly appreciated. It is marked with a p&s on the backplate

Attached Files:

2. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

A belt buckle ?

LauraGarnet02 and laura9797 like this.
  3. It has a tighter grasp so it’s possible, I even thought possibly a homemade money clip. The stamp looks more professional to me though…

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I doubt it’s an authentic coin. It looks like a commercial belt buckle to me.

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. There are many replicas and ancient coin lookalikes are used for all sorts of items. Looks like it was made this way.

6. Thanks for that input, I generally can’t stop till I find my answer.. I’ll see what I can come up with based on ur thoughts

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

A definite copy/reproduction. Any idea of the size??
    I'd go with a type of belt buckle also.
    A real example is about the size of a US half dollar.

[​IMG]

aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like bolo tie for the hardware...

aaroncab likes this.
  9. That’s a great reference to know, thank you… this is just about the size of a nickel…

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted