Featured Cameo Gift Advice

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ghopper1924, May 28, 2022.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi cameo fans:

Once again I seek your learned opinions on cameos. These photos are from an upcoming auction; they're the only ones I've got. So my question is: For the discerning gift giver :))), do any of these cameos jump out as "must haves," or are they all pretty run of the mill? I have no idea on what prices they may go for, so must rely on your opinions. I hope the photos are sufficient......

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.52.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.52.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.52.40 AM.png

kyratango, Xristina, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I really don't know much about cameos but if I were to choose one it would be the one with the dancers, who could be fairies, ballet dancers or nymphs. That is the one I find more appealing even if it is not worth much.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Three Graces, I think.:) And I agree, it is lovely.
    Unfortunately the auction site doesn't provide detailed pictures, the quality of the carving is important.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm another one who only looks at pictures, but this is the one that catches my eye:
    Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.52.31 AM.png

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I don't know much about cameos either but I would go for the one with the dancers too.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like several of them... the larger one in the center of the middle picture is interesting. Just wondering what it depicts!

Depends, of course, on what the person who receives the gift would like. The Three Graces one has a nice balance to it. I like unusual ones, so the one that @moreotherstuff posted and also the one in the center of the middle photo would be my choices. The others in that photo are generally pretty, but seem more commonly found.

I don't see anything of interest in the first or third photos.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like this one too//

8. Ghopper1924

Cool. Thanks for all of the input....I hope there's more to come!

pearlsnblume, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Enlarged a bit with MY 3 choices, although Night & Day with the Eagle MAY have a crack in it to the left....look carefully or ASK if interested in it!!! To me, those three look the nicest!

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.52.31 AM-gigapixel3_00.jpg

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Everything in the 1st & 3rd pix is ROTM. The Graces look like they're on Spring Break & strike me as pretty modern.

The Day & Night is nice but the color worries me. The photo's color fidelity may be poor. If it's fairly accurate, I would steer away from this one as I think it artificial. A pic of the back would help make the determination.

Think the bacchante/maenad you have starred would make the best gift, 1920s or so. My eye is drawn to the large cameo with the winged figure as being the most unusual, but from what I can see, she is a mish-mash of imagery, looking like Nike/Victoria with the grapes of a bacchante or the flowers sometimes seen with Iris, I can't tell which. You see this in cameos towards the end of their Victorian heyday, when cutters did not adhere as closely to conventions.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was hoping Bronwen would check in, but didn't want to disturb her either!!! We all value her opinion so much!! Of course, the 'Day & Night' one is my Fave as that's the one I own, but couldn't speak to the red coloring in it......the one Bronwen picked does look to be the cleanest and probably nicest for a gift!!!

12. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I think I have seen that one before and it is some kind of plastic or resin. I wouldn't choose that one.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That one stood out to me as well, but the carving seems to be rather crude.
    On some (most?) of the others as well, unfortunately.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Ghopper1924

Great to know all this. Thanks!

Bronwen, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted