Featured Cameo and intaglio experts? Help with 2 of my forgotten rings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Apr 22, 2023.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Stumbled upon these rings not too long ago in my stash of jewelry. Turns out they are 14k gold and unmarked. I bought them years ago and forgot about them! They seem like really nice rings especially the cameo ring. I just need some help dating them. The cameo seems 1880s-90s and the intaglio seems like 1940s? I don't know much about cameos or intaglios but I know there are some great experts on here!!
    20230422_165714.jpg 20230422_165752.jpg 20230422_165850.jpg 20230422_165911.jpg 20230422_165952.jpg 20230422_170006.jpg 20230422_170014.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1st one looks like cut tigers eye.....:wideyed:

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The tiger eye Ceres-like cameo looks more mid-20th century to me. The intaglio is copying from 'the antique', i.e., antiquity, but the ring itself has a very deco look to it, so might be earlier than the other one, although once a style is out there it can be revived at any time. Neither is Victorian, IMO. But very nice, both.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's fun to find forgotten items! They are both lovely.

PepperAnna, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

even more fun to find gold.....;)

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  6. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Many thanks to you all!! Can anyone post some photos of some true authentic victorian cameo rings? Preferably mens rings? I've been dying to get my hands on a cameo ring that fits me from that era!

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You've set us a challenge. We will have more success finding antique men's rings with intaglios than with cameos, with perhaps one exception: Georgian/Victorian rings set with a Roman cameo of a gorgoneion (Medusa head).

Much more common are rings set with an intaglio that could be used as signet rings. You can find what were contemporary rings with either a genuinely ancient intaglio or with an equally contemporary modern one, often copied from ancient work. Then of course there are ones with armorials or monograms/initials.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted