Featured Camel Saddle?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Michael Pirnique, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Michael Pirnique

Michael Pirnique New Member

upload_2020-10-11_22-47-34.jpeg
    I found this piece today and it was identified as a camel saddle from the 1870s, “very, very rare!!!”

I’ve searched the internet and can’t find any camel saddles this resembles.

Does anyone have any clues as to what it might be?

It’s about 25” tall and about 30” wide. There was an old customs sticker on it that looked like it came from China.

Thanks for your help!

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Michael. A pet peeve of mine is the word, "rare" when used by sellers attempting to drive up prices. I have a lot of "rare" things that aren't worth S#@%.

Hopefully, someone will know exactly what that is. Until then, welcome to the forum, and thanks for reading my tiny rant.

bercrystal, Fid, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is the rack of a camel pack saddle.;) It would have padding on the inside and things could be tied to the rack.
    Not rare, still used, although I would say this is an older one. Nice construction and nice condition. Not sure about antique though, maybe vintage.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

with 25 " tall it could be anything. mules, donkeys, even horses for military use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bercrystal likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

The front and the back of the frame have no cross bars or slats to allow for two humps. The two cross slats in the middle sit in between the humps.
    Such a construction would work for mules, donkeys, or horses that have two humps, but I don't think there are that many around.;)
    As you can see from the example you showed, for horse etc pack saddles it makes sense to have cross bars at the end of the frame to give it stability. With a camel the two humps add to the stability. (Of course there would have been padding to protect the humps as well.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  6. Michael Pirnique

I know, I was a little suspicious of their insistence of it being very very rare!! I thought it more humorous than informative.

Thanks!

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

That is without allowing for the humps.;)

9. Any Jewelry

I can't find more recent examples of camel pack saddles, but below is a Northern Qi Dynasty figure of a Bactrian camel with a pack saddle.
    Although different from the later ones, you can see that the concept is the same. The front and end stick out along the sides of the humps, without support slats over the top, which a horse pack saddle would have.
    Other Chinese funerary figurines of pack camels have similar pack saddles.

upload_2020-10-12_18-1-29.jpeg
    https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/...n/grey-pottery-figure-bactrian-camel-10/53638

2manybooks and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8CA4D436-AB9C-4DCC-B371-DB7C71791E7A.jpeg As an aside:
    This is a Modern Chinese Saddle Table.

komokwa, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Kind of like the North African camel (dromedary) saddle stools you used to see in the 1960s.;)

i need help likes this.
  12. Michael Pirnique

F6473398-0C6C-46EB-AF29-69C114C5C77E.jpeg Thanks for all the replies!

Just wanted to post a few more pics.
    7E7FE727-4452-48D0-8433-47A391C4C76A.jpeg 8F57B497-0446-4788-B921-B8A61B49BBD4.jpeg

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Nice. Looks like they used wood from something from Europe or the US for at least one of the cross slats. There used to be a lot of Western trade posts in China. And travelers of course.

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

do the Chinese have the same numbers as us ?

15. Any Jewelry

Check my post just above yours.:) Post #13.

Draft saved Draft deleted