calling Paragon experts

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barry Stephen, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

Hello all, I picked this up recently and although I'm not really into this style the fact that it didn't have a paragon backstamp made me curious. Having read previous posts on Paragon I understand that not all designs were named and that they were not always too efficient with marks etc, especially in the 1930's. Looks hand painted to my inexperienced eye and plenty of gilt.
    So what I am asking is; IMG_ParagonT1s.jpg IMG_ParagonT2s.jpg IMG_ParagonT3s.jpg IMG_ParagonT5s.jpg
    Can anyone identify this pattern?
    Why is there no backstamp?
    Is the signature of the decorator ie M.K (or R) Clark or a designer?
    Is the number really 1933 or a model number? If the latter can anyone date it?

I have seen an identical shape by googling 'Paragon convolvulus teapot' but of course its painted differently. Was this a common teapot shape which came in different patterns?

grateful for any thoughts you may have,
    many thanks

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Given the majority of the writing, some of the decoration was done by a hobbyist. She got a blank that she was told was from Paragon and wrote it underneath.

judy and Barry Stephen like this.
  3. Bakersgma

I can't read the middle initial but it doesn't matter.

judy likes this.
  4. Barry Stephen

Wow , didn't think of that one ! Is it really hand painted then?
    Were blanks that easy to come by?

judy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Some of decoration may be a decal - the big flower bouquet in particular. China painting was a very popular hobby around 1900 (and could have been longer.)

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It came back for a short time later on, and this may be from the second go-round.

7. Barry Stephen

Interesting !, so do you feel its not well painted or is it hobbyist due to the lack of backstamp, just curious as I'm not familiar with Paragon quality and maybe my photos aren't great...

judy likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

It's hobbyist because of the hand painted name, date and Paragon name.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Back in the 80s in St. Pete Fl I lived up the street from a china painting club.Every few months theyd have a sale,and you could pick up wonderful pieces for nothing. Some of those old dears were very talented.Its a very pretty piece.

judy, Barry Stephen and Bakersgma like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

readily available...........;)

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, hobby painter on a blank.

Barry Stephen likes this.
  12. MaiseMophead

MaiseMophead New Member

Hi, Ive got a few pieces of this with the same signature on. I bought them in a charity shop.

Barry Stephen and moreotherstuff like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I read "M. N. Clark."

Debora

Barry Stephen and Bakersgma like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Where did you buy yours... what city?

@Barry Stephen : where did you get your piece?

15. Barry Stephen

Hi there, I got mine up here in Aberdeen, Scotland in a charity shop too, I didn't pay much I recall. Not my style really but quality seemed too good not to take it :happy:

16. Barry Stephen

Hi Debora, yes mine could be an 'N', if it doesn't seem to be capitalised, just a large lower case n. The long tail down made me think R or K but her M also has a long tail downwards....

17. Barry Stephen

Hi, would be great to see some photos.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you and @MaiseMophead got them in the same city, it would be a good indicator for someone local.

19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

M R or M K Clark, I think. My opinion is a little different: I think the flowers in the cartouches are hobby painted whereas the gilded and green base is original factory. It may have been a second that was purchased by the hobbyist and only partly finished. I have seen some Royal Crown Derby pieces where the cobalt parts of imari pattern are done, but the rest is unfinished for whatever reason. I think Ms. Clark also gilded the molded portions at the base.

20. Barry Stephen

hi, thats interesting. There are a few firing spots but otherwise nothing serious to deem it a second, but it could easily fail inspection for some reason not apparent to me. The green glaze is a little spotty when see under close inspection as well...There is a shallow impressed 'A' underneath where she has written paragon, but it doesn't show up in the original photos and I didn't notice it before, if that means anything...? thanks again for the input.

Draft saved Draft deleted