Featured Calling Ornithologists What Sort Of Bird Is This?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 25, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I bought this fine Karl Ens porcelain bird today. It was sold as a parrot but I think it may be something else such as a bunting.

xan any ornithologists help please? Karl Ens birds are usually pretty true to life so hopefully it should be easy to identify.

IMG_3545.jpeg IMG_3546.jpeg IMG_3547.jpeg IMG_3548.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Probably nothing specific. There is a blue and yellow tanager, and a white starred robin, but it think just an attractive color combination is more likely.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

My ornithologist friend from Leeds says its from the Finch family but cannot ID which type.

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

maybe a roller (Genus Coraciidae); the colors are varied based on specific species/region. Also noted that one description mentions that the 2 inner front toes are connected but not the outer toe; which seems to agree with how this one is depicted.

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Thank you. A friend also suggested a roller.

Figtree3 and TallCakes like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well it does have a Bunting-like beak (seed eater). Rollers have a longer skinnier beak for nabbing insects.

Painted Bunting:
    [​IMG]

European Roller:
    [​IMG]

Finch beaks are very short and stubby:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

So pretty Rayo.

Watched the movie "The Birds" the other night.. still scary.

Potteryplease and Rayo56 like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I saw that movie when I was a little kid. Was on the bird's side ever since.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I found a 1970s paperback book a while back called 'Eco-Fiction' edited by John Stadler and was surprised to find that "The Birds" is a short story by Daphne du Maurier. It's just like the film and, while it was originally set in England, it was hard for me to not keep seeing Hitchcock's scenery in Bodega Bay, California.

11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

That's why I try to stay on their best side as a friend. My little cat bird i rescued is so damn cute I can't stand it. When I'm in the living room watching tv he will start screaming like a cat for me to come in the kitchen to be with him.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe............& I can't believe I'm being so cliche ...... maybe he just wants to get you out of your chair....so he can sit in the cat bird seat !!!!!!!

:shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame:......:wacky:

Figtree3, bercrystal, Rayo56 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted