Featured California Artist Frederick Colbus San Francisco Bay painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Apr 30, 2022.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday!
    Picked this up at my local goodwill.
    Measures 36" x 16" and I am pretty sure it is by the artist Frederick Colbus. I know the scene well being a California guy. San Francisco Bay Bridge painted from the South and showing SF in the distance.
    I was wondering about re-sale and the poor condition of the frame.
    The painting is on masonite so can be easily removed, But it is the original frame from Featurecraft Studio in Santa Cruz Where he lived.
    Mikey
    weee 1097.jpg weee 1098.jpg weee 1099.jpg weee 1100.jpg weee 1103.jpg weee 1104.jpg

Potteryplease, Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Easy to date view... The Bay Bridge opened in 1936 and steamboat service to The City ended in 1940. But think a look back and work contemporary to mid-century frame. Don't see any reason it wouldn't be by Colbus. Here's something similar he did (found at dead internet link.) If it were mine, I wouldn't worry too much about frame. Original frames often support artist's vision, confirm provenance. Buyer can easily replace with something to his/her taste if he/she prefers or -- better yet -- restore.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

3. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks @Debora
    I'm thinking this frame is missing the outer wood frame. And with the staining cloth I might be better off loosing the frame.
    Mikey

Figtree3 and Silverthorne like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look like its missing a piece. But it does showcase the painting as it was meant to be showcased. You could photograph it both ways. Offer if wanted.

Debora

916Bulldogs123 and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Painted from the north looking south....... 6800 Empire Grade is Bonny Doon , probably had a studio at residential or unbuilt property there , all I see is a huge building with a really long driveway now . Have not been up there since the huge fire 2 years ago ....lucky all that did not burn to the ground...

"Featurecraft Studio, 6800 Empire Grade, Santa Cruz, California 95060 with telephone number. Per Askart.com and Edan Milton Hughes, Frederick Colbus was born in California on January 14, 1917. He spent his early life in San Francisco and later settled in Santa Cruz. He died there on August 11, 1986."

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just out of curiosity, was amazed I was able to take (Debora's) 7.5kb image, so tiny, and blow it up 4 times, albeit with a bit of distortion, but still the program was able to do it!!!
    Mikey, your painting is SO VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially all in that Sepia toning!!!!

Unknown.jpg SF BAY BRIDGE-4_00x.jpg

Debora and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree to sell it with the original frame.

8. 916Bulldogs123

He was also an illustrator, and worked for Disney for a bit.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

Took it out of the frame. That cloth on the frame is rotten and very smelly. I don't thing a good idea to put it back.
    I want to clean it a little but am not sure what the paint type is. Not watercolor. I don't think you can do that on board?
    weee 1106.jpg weee 1109.jpg

10. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Looks like an ink wash drawing to me. I wouldn’t try to clean it, I think it looks fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted