Featured Cal. painting: Geo Ernst

Discussion in 'Art' started by Potteryplease, Aug 24, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

The signature is easy enough to read, but I'm having trouble trying to find out who the painter was: George Ernst

oil on masonite
    unframed
    larger: 24" x 18" (61x45cm)

Thank you for any help and / or comments!

IMG_1040.jpeg IMG_1043.jpeg IMG_1045.jpeg IMG_1046.jpeg IMG_1047.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And how do you know it's California?

Debora

3. Potteryplease

Well, you're right: that was a guess, based on the landscape / basin and range geology. And also where I found it, an antique mall here in Oregon.

If it's not CA, I'm guessing it's nearby: Nevada, Arizona. But again, those are guesses.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I would think a talented amateur?

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think a trained artist. Unfortunately I can't find anything on him.
    My search is hampered by the fact that Ernst is a Dutch, Belgian, Danish and German first name and surname.:banghead:

NewEngland, mirana, Boland and 2 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly trained. Accomplished what he wanted to. Interesting choice that he took advantage of the texture of the masonite. Looks almost like a preliminary work.

Debora

reader, mirana, Boland and 2 others like this.
  7. Potteryplease

Thank you for looking.

Thank you for the opinions.

reader, Boland, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Not just California...it's high probable the view is west, from the east side of the Sierra Mountains...Owens Valley comes immediately to mind, south of Lee Vining on Mono Lake. I like it!

reader and Potteryplease like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like Palm Springs way to my eye, Coachella Valley, but could be elsewhere as noted above. High desert.

Debora

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Another painting on the rough side of masonite. There must have been someone advocating this at some point. I have found/seen numerous paintings done as such. This is more professional than most but can't say I have ever seen a truly professional work by a known artist done this way.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I always think -- perhaps incorrectly -- that these types of works were produced by individuals working in the commercial arts or printing trade. People with some art education and a good eye but vocational rather than fine arts training. Of course, I could be wrong.

Debora

Potteryplease and mirana like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My first impression that this 'Ernst' was a commercial artist. It is a good and attractive piece, but it doesn't have the 'depth' of a fine painting, imo. I do like it though.

Potteryplease and Debora like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Could be anywhere but gut feeling is pretty classic CA desert landscape since I have a bedroom wall full of CA desert landscapes and there’s no vegetation to suggest elsewhere. No clue if it’s high desert or low. Would guess 40s/50s but regardless it has age. Agree an accomplished painter. I know most of the low desert painters but there are certainly unknown talented artists out there. Nice painting!

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"CA desert landscapes." Must be an interesting collection.

Debora

wlwhittier, reader and Potteryplease like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

mirana, Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

All small minor works but I have 2 Chisnalls, 3 Brays-almost all Coachella Valley. One Bray is AZ (unusual for him) and my Namingha is NM. Most of the others are listed. Sorry that I let go of my Hilton years ago.

mirana, Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Those have to be CA paintings…

18. Potteryplease

reader likes this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Prefacing no botanist here (so not…) but did live in the Sierra for 9 years and the plant on the right of left side of 1st painting could be mule ear which only grows at altitude. If it is, the Sierra was a likely call as it couldn’t be desert floor (Coachella Valley) or Joshua Tree, Yucca etc. Yucca and JT paintings would have yucca and Joshua trees. Hard to avoid them.

If I’ve seen one low desert painter, I’ve literally seen hundreds and I don’t know the name but now thinking wiwhittier could be right.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    mirana, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted