Cairo-ware copper vase-age?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Boland, Jun 11, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

F4184306-BCFB-4497-A848-AA7896C6AAB9.jpeg D3026475-1680-4955-BDEC-074C77ED5508.jpeg 74361F0B-7438-42E4-B920-C28D1283BA07.jpeg 59FA7C51-1A9F-47FA-8B5E-2833E130AB0F.jpeg 4C10E22E-8592-4E9E-A7C3-24B18D6C4EE5.jpeg DAF3014A-445C-4C1E-AB3F-4C7869F0F8C5.jpeg Hi all,got this cool little handcrafted copper vase with silver inlay detail for a mere $2. There’s many examples on the web (and they are still being made) Just wondering about the age of this one. Do you think it’s early 20th century or perhaps even 19th?. It stands 12cm tall. Thank you for any comments

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I see where you get Cairoware but that punched stippled background makes me think something different. It is also more crude than what I would consider Cairoware. I did find this piece they call Cairoware from 1957 that has that same background.

Antiques, Art, Vintage (goantiques.com)

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comment,efforts and link provided. I will continue looking.

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I agree it does look crudely handmade. But it also looks well handled? Any guesses to the possible age? I certainly thought older than 1940-50’s. Or maybe I wrong? (Again :))

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I really don't know enough to hazard a guess as to age. 1950 was 73 years ago so certainly enough time for this to appear as it does. Could be older but really hard to say.

Boland likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I understand. Thanks again

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry

Hi AJ,can I perhaps ask you what you think of this little vase. Is it just a crudely made 50’s -70’s souvenir item? Many thanks

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Cairo ware, my guess is 1930s.
    Yes to crudely made and souvenir, but then most Cairo ware is made for tourists.
    It looks a bit sad now. If you clean it a little, get rid of the old polish residue and polish the silver it will look much better.:)

Figtree3, the blacksmith and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Much appreciated response AJ,thank you for the comment and advice :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Personally, and this is simply just my persona preference, I'd wash it and get rid of the polish residue as AJ has already suggested, then I'd simply wax it to a nice deep lustre and leave it at that. But, that is perhaps just me. :rolleyes:
    Personally, I do not like polished copper and brass, I like things to show their age.....at least a bit!:)

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It will still show its age clean or not.:) Tarnished brass is fine, but tarnished silver is not, tarnish can eat away at the silver.
    So my suggestion to polish the silver was meant both for preservation as well as to make the design stand out, so the maker didn't work on the inlay for nothing.;) Right now I have no idea if the inlay is Arabic script or if it is an Egyptian Revival subject, and I would like to know.:playful: