C SMITH STONEWARE CROCKS WITH COBALT FLORAL DESIGN - FOR REAL?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gg11311, May 17, 2015.

1. gg11311

gg11311 New Member

Ok so this is totally bizarre but I actually found these two pieces at separate estate sales here in Northern VA. I can find some info on the HC Smith pottery which operated in the early to mid half of the 19th century in Alexandria VA and Washington DC. I was hoping someone in the community could help me deterimine if they are in fact authentic. Both have what a appears to be a signiture and the number 91 etched into the bottom and each has an almost identitcal floral pattern. There is also what appears to be the number "8" impressed on the rear of each crock down by the bottom. The mark on the front was apparently in use from 1931-1957. There are very slight variations in size and shape but these two are almost exactly the same and stand about 6 1/2" tall and 5 1/2" in diameter at the shoulder... what are the odds? 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      362.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      305 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      317.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are thinking these are authentic 19th century pieces from the H.C. Smith Pottery, I'd say no. The pottery operating at that time made salt glaze stoneware, with its distinctive "orange peel" surface texture. These appear to be contemporary gas fired stoneware. More telling, though, is the fact that the stamp used here (H.C. SMITH / ALEX. D.C. apparently is not the original stamp.

According to the Alexandria Archaeology Museum's web site about the pottery, the mark used from 1831 to 1847 was H.C. SMITH / ALEXA DC. Close, but not the same.

The reference to the stamp on these two pots being used in the 1900's isn't clear. The original pottery was sold in 1851. Maybe someone "revived" the pottery to make reproductions ca. 1950's, but I haven't been able to find any indication of that. But these do not appear to be original mid-19th century, since they have the wrong stamp, and are not period salt glaze pots.

gregsglass likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks like 1970s stuff made for the bicentennial craze but could be newer

gregsglass likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My SIL has one on her kitchen counter to hold wooden utensils. She bought it at the Williamsburg Pottery Company about 10 years ago. It was sold by them but not made by them.
    greg

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's real stoneware, just not really old stoneware. You can get pieces like that now from assorted potteries still in business all over New England.

Draft saved Draft deleted