Featured Bushwacker Basket ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Calico, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I picked up this great basket last week and was wondering if this is a Taghkanic Bushwacker basket ? It's large at 14" x 9" not including the stationary handle. Nice and heavy, very solid. Push up bottom and notched handles, tapered slats but I'm no basket expert.
    Any thoughts as to age/origin ?
    Thank you !
    basket17a.jpg basket17.jpg basket18.jpg basket19.jpg basket20.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yup.....turn of the century Taconic gathering basket.....

That upturned start on the bottom is a key indicator ...

[​IMG]

Your pics seem so show it being red oak.....but that might just be my screen color...
    the one above is white oak..

3. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you komokwa. :) Mine isn't really red, just darker than the one you posted, more a darker brown. For some reason my camera turned it red. It was raining yesterday or I would have taken the picture in natural light.

Aquitaine, Ghopper1924 and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

komokwa, can you think of a wood that would turn a burnished goldtone patina (but not painted) used for a basket ? I have another large basket with decent age to it and it has a burnished golden patina in areas.

5. komokwa

Well even that white oak has a reddish hue...

Calico....!! I gotta see what you're talking about !!:peeking::peeking::pics::pics::pics::pics:;)

Aquitaine and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

komokwa, taking a closer look it seems as though it IS paint, mostly faded but visible in some areas, the flash really brings it out.
    This is a big basket, 16" across.
    What do you think, spray painted long ago for Christmas maybe ? :confused:
    basket21.jpg basket22.jpg basket23.jpg basket24.jpg

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks more "wiped" for highlights and faded than sprayed and worn. Not that that helps any......................

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. komokwa

This type of oak splint , New England , melon ( buttocks ) , gathering ( egg) , style of basket circa late 1800's......( phew...that's a mouthful,,,!! ) , was routinely painted & most often , but not exclusively...in a mid blue/green shade.

Not being a historian.....I'm not certain why , other than tradition, or pure country flair , or maybe even to follow changing tastes away from the natural wood colors.
    I do know that painted baskets like these command a higher value in the market place ....all other things being equal.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've seen the term ' Blue Milk Paint ' , but am not sure exactly what that is.

The paint fades over time, and with constant use....like yours seems to have been subjected to ....fades until only shadows of it's former color remain.

Newer, or less older baskets painted with modern paints....last longer with their bright colors.

9. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

komokwa, thank you. Being here in Massachusetts I see quite a few blue, red and mustard painted baskets. I've never seen a gold one, and I should say the color on this one is subtle. If you look at it in hand you don't really notice the color, it's more of a dark patina, but my flash really brought out the gold color. I guess I am wondering if the paint is newer than the basket, maybe 1950's or so ?
    Mansons, it really looks like it was wiped down until just the highlights were left. Very odd with this one.
    So, maybe old basket with a paint added 50 years or so later ?

10. komokwa

I'm wondering if the faded green...has turned gold. ?

Paint could have been added more recently than the age of the basket....

Gold painted pine cones anyone ?? :hilarious::hilarious:

11. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

There Amazing basket isn't strange when you see what other people have you can see the beauty in them ,

And that explains why collecting such a wide variety and you can't just pin it down to one thing ,

judy likes this.
  12. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

komokwa, the green paint turning gold had occurred to me but again, not something I had ever seen. I see traces of green where the splints covered the color so maybe that's what it is.
    Thank you again for your help.

Charlie, each is a work of art.

13. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

They certainly are Calico,

14. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

This is my first post, so I don't know if I should be starting a new thread, but I couldn't figure out how, since what I was seeing didn't correspond to the online instructions. I tried inserting photos, but got a message saying I didn't have the right privileges, so will try again with just text. Anyway, I recently found an oak splint basket and am wondering how old it is and if it's a Taghkanic Bushwhacker basket since is has a pushed up bottom. But the handle looks like a Shaker style. The basket is 6 1/4" high (excluding rigid handle) and 10" in diameter.

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@KingofThings can you help Joan with your instructions for posting photos
    Joan, if you can get the photo thing to work it would be better to start your own thread - Welcome to the forum:)

16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I can't send my help form til morning but I'll condense it for her. :)

17. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hi! Welcome if I've not already said. :)
    -
    You may not have allowance to post photos. This seems to take a various amount of time.
    If it takes longer write a moderator a message about it.
    Otherwise >
    Resize your photos to 480xwhatever number shows with it.
    Then, after you write whatever, load your photos up to 10 then hit the Full Image button for all. :)

judy likes this.
  18. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you to all who've responded. I didn't realize there's a waiting period for posting photos, so maybe that's what's going on. The photos I wanted to upload are all 480 x *, but when I clicked the "image" icon yesterday, it asked for an image URL (which is still the case today). I thought I could just upload from my own computer, or do I need to use a third party such as Photobucket? I also wonder if I don't have permission yet to start a new thread, since I'm not seeing that option where the tutorial says it's located.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

To upload from your computer, just drag and drop....................MUCH simpler than all of the other instructions given, which I do not understand myself.................but then, I still use the Owner's Manual to heat a cup of coffee in the microwave, so.........................

Taupou and KingofThings like this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Joan. Images from your own computer need to be uploaded using the "Upload a File" button next to Post Reply beneath the text box.

As for your inability to start a new thread, have you received an email from the site with which to confirm your email address? Not confirming is often the cause for new member problems such as you describe. Be sure to check your Spam folder in case your email program sent it there.

Draft saved Draft deleted