Featured Bundle of interesting jewellery

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluejay, Feb 8, 2024.

1. bluejay

bluejay Member

I recently purchased a big bundle of jewellery, nearly 60 items for £20... can't lose right?! So far have found four silver necklaces, and a pearl (probably glass) necklace with a 9ct clasp, along with lots of nice costume, so I'm very happy. :D

There's a few pieces I wonder if I could get some advice on in terms of materials/age? Apologies if these are obvious, I'm very much new to this and haven't found the answers on Google!

First up, this brooch - I've found others that are Art Deco or older, but is the clasp style newer than that? No marks.

brooch1.jpg brooch2.jpg brooch3.jpg brooch4.jpg

Then there's this beaded necklace, any thoughts on material/age? They're cool to the touch, a few have tiny chips, they look slightly metallic but I'm not sure if that's some sort of coating. Almost has a blue-ish tone to it, strung on thread, has some weight. 24" long. The spacers look different and more of a uniform grey metallic colour.

beads1.jpg beads-2.jpg

This little bracelet, the beads look different to the beads above - these aren't metallic at all - smooth and rich black, fairly cool to the touch. Individually threaded on by the looks of it. Thoughts on material/age?

bracelet1.jpg bracelet2.jpg

And finally this - one of the silver necklaces. I'm assuming relatively recent, but does anyone know what the bead is - some sort of glass? It's cold to touch, doesn't feel like plastic.

necklace1.jpg necklace2.jpg

Thank you in advance! :cat:

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3. bluejay

bluejay Member

Ah interesting thank you, I've just tried a magnet against it and there's no reaction. I just tried to scrape it across unglazed ceramic too though and there's no streak left behind so guessing it's not hematite :(

KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Art Deco, and the clasp is of the period, 1930s.
    Looks like "French jet", which is black glass, often from Bohemia/Czechoslovakia.
    Could you post a photo of a chipped bead please? The way it is chipped may tell us about the material.
    A sweet thing. Looks like French jet as well.

Figtree3, KSW, Dessert58 and 4 others like this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

How about this one then, @Any Jewelry? It's slightly magnetic. Hematite? Magnetite? And age? (sorry for hijacking your thread @bluejay)
    1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

johnnycb09 and bluejay like this.
  6. bluejay

bluejay Member

Thank you @Any Jewelry ! Nice to know the brooch is Art Deco, and I thought the bracelet was quite sweet too - it immediately went in my keep pile (well, at the moment everything is and I'm developing quite a hoarde... :rolleyes:).

Here's a photo of one of the chips on the necklace:

necklace-chip-1.jpg

Beautiful necklace too @Marote !

Figtree3, KSW, Marote and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

It looks very dark for either hematite or magnetite.
    Magnetite is very magnetic. Hematite is not, but it is reacts to magnets, maybe that is what you mean by slightly magnetic?

KSW, Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Am I correct in thinking the bracelet is older than the necklace? I have no scientific backing to this hunch, but to me the bracelet has a victorian feel as opposed to the necklace which feels later like deco. The clasp looks large like I've seen on late vic watch chains...

KSW, bluejay and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have figured it for a classic 50s black glass necklace, but hematite/hemalyke glass fits too. Not sure of the bracelet. The pin has a 30s rollover, but the style was white hot in the states before Deco ever got here. I'd have said 20s without the clasp.

KSW and bluejay like this.
  11. bluejay

bluejay Member

Thank you - interesting about the brooch, maybe it was already a little unfashionable by the time it was made!

KSW likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m in my happy place sorting out a bundle of jewellery! It’s such fun, like a treasure hunt :)

bluejay and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

The clasp was introduced in the late 20s, maybe '29. These brooches were still fashionable in the early 30s, so it wasn't unfashionable.;) Many of these brooches have the same type clasp.

Figtree3, bluejay and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted