Featured Buffalo China Deldare Ye Olden Days Handled Cake Plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Apr 23, 2023.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This is one of the pieces I got Friday night.

I have always seen this shaped plate referred to as a "handled cake plate".

Well, I have searched high & low but have not seen another plate with an open handle.

This is what Replacements Ltd. is calling a cake plate in this pattern.

They list the measurement as 8".

https://www.replacements.com/china-buffalo-pottery-ye-olden-days-handled-cake-plate/p/42089631

Mine measures 11 3/8" across handle edge to handle edge & 10 1/8" top edge to bottom edge.

The same design with the 3 men walking in the square is done on dinner plates & I have seen a few of those.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If anybody happens to have a book on Buffalo China that includes this line if you would please check to see if this piece is included. :happy::happy:

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

cxgirl, *crs*, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

JMHO but I think it is for a cake. It sure would make taking the cake from the kitchen to the table easier.
    Good luck, it is so pretty.

Peggy there are open handle cake plates on etsy but not your pattern.

cxgirl and bercrystal like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I did go ahead & sign up for the free month of access to this site. I doubt that I will keep it up as $12.00 a month for something I doubt I would use that much is a little steep.

I did find a copy of the same book on Amazon & used some points I had to get a hard copy. :happy::happy:

Each of the scenes is referred to by a different name & as you can see in the photo above this scene is called "Ye Olden Times".

This is the cake plate in this pattern & the one Replacements has is a calling card tray according to the book.

BTW if you ever see ones with little poems written on the piece you may want to check it out closely. They are referred to as the Dr. Syntax line.

The Deldare line also included a pattern that involved a fox hunt.

kentworld, cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted