Brown Pottery Pitcher Tobacco Spit Glaze Or what?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jackolin, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

Until last week I had never heard about the Tobacco glaze, intrigued me to ask about another piece of pottery, a 8" pitcher. Can anyone give me any information about it? Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

• 042.JPG
      042.JPG
      File size:
      495.1 KB
      Views:
    • 040.JPG
      040.JPG
      File size:
      548.5 KB
      Views:
    • 044.JPG
      044.JPG
      File size:
      543.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

What is Tobacco Spit glaze?? I've heard of a Salt Glaze. That Pitcher is called Earthenware.

3. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

This is unglazed earthenware. Not tobacco spit glaze. Fenton, if you can find jackolin other post, there were a couple of nice examples of tobacco spit glaze.

jackolin likes this.
  4. jackolin

CRS, if not glazed what is the shiny color finish that has pooled on the bottom? Plus have you seen this type of 'combed' bottom? Thank you for your reply, I am finding at 75, I still need to learn a thing or two and find it interesting at the same time!
    Jackolin

5. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I got you beat Jackolin.

6. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

It looks to me like it was glazed inside but not outside. Some may have spilled over. It also looks like it may have been in a fire. Maybe fireplace? The combed effect is from when the clay was "thrown/turned" on a potters wheel and they removed it from the wheel using a wire. Imagine the wheel turning and sliding a wire along the bottom. this would create that effect.

7. jackolin

Thanks CRS the explanation!

Fenton - :))

Draft saved Draft deleted