Brown Glazed Pottery Pitcher

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 7, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Studio or hobbyist piece?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I searched with different combinations of keywords... hand turned, sangria pitcher, applied strap ice lip, pinched spout, applied handle, stoneware, pottery, ceramic, etc., etc... haven't found one like this yet.

It makes me think of North Carolina or other Southern pottery. But I could be way off base.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, isn't that interesting? I'm throwing in with Laura. That kind of innovation seems to me to be most likely modern... 70s onwards?

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Looks like NC pottery. I've found examples by Auman, Cole, and Pisgah Forest with an applied "ice lip" type piece (mostly tea or coffee pots), but all of them had lids, and what appears to be an ice lip on your pitcher is a piece to hold the lid in place when pouring. From your photos, it doesn't appear the piece could have a lid. Is that correct?

I think it's highly likely it's NC pottery, which is still being made. Absent a signature or stamp, it's pretty hard to tell whether old or modern, though I'd lean toward modern.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

6. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Here we go, we came with new term " ice lip" :)
    Correct, the pitcher is not meant to have a lid.
    Could be a NC piece. Maybe the glaze can help? It seems like it is from those types that tends to run and looks like the pitcher was fired on support so the base does not stick to the kiln shelf. Not a typical glaze for NC pottery, is it?

As far as the age, I can't tell. There is some handling wear and glazing imperfections but that's not enough to determine age. The glaze has crazing and some purple shades when exposed to light but that does not mean much either, I guess.

Don't know if it's worth bothering Crockerfarm. I am still waiting on reply about the bowl. Do you have to fill a form for free appraisal? I wrote the directly to their email.

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Draft saved Draft deleted