Brown Glaze Crock Jug With Spout Incised Capital A Marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

The is a large crock jug with a spout. The only mark is an incised capital A on the side of the jug. Does anyone know the age of this crock and type of glaze 1-IMG_6360.JPG 2-IMG_6357.JPG 3-IMG_6358.JPG 4-IMG_6361.JPG 5-IMG_6362.JPG 6-IMG_6359.JPG 7-IMG_6363.JPG

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Brown stoneware, probably Albany slip... looks like a whiskey jug, but I don't know how to tell older from newer...

*crs*, Bakersgma and gregsglass like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Gila,
    You are learning fast, girl.
    greg:D:D:D:D

*crs* likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you; you taught me those very things I wrote, didn't you? :)

5. Mugzinnys

The glaze is sloppily done and rumor above questioning new or old is making me think that its may be new made to look old, but I do not know a lot about crockery.

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't think the letter A will be much help. Each worker was assigned a letter and that's how they tracked how many pieces each worker made. The lack of decoration and the chip will hold the value down.
    Don

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My 2 cents - not new. Gila's post about simply said she didn't know how to tell the difference between older and newer, not that she thought it was new.

8. Mugzinnys

Thanks
    Bakersgma

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

What Baker said!
    That IS what I meant. :eggface:

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Gila,
    I knew from the start that you were pretty, perky and smart. I guess I should not be suprised that you are a very good learner. Love the way you have been "investigating" things while info searching.
    greg

*crs* and SBSVC like this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you truly, Gregggsie. I don't want to waste any of y'all's time. What a wonderful compliment.

*crs* and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted