Featured Brooch high interest- has me stumped

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Raccoon1977, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Raccoon1977

Raccoon1977 Well-Known Member

Hey y’all! Happy new year! Hope everyone has been doing well this year. So I have a weird question, and I know this piece isn’t exactly an antique but it’s probably 30s or 40s I’m guessing. Maybe somebody will correct me if I am wrong. so I listed it on eBay, and immediately had interest, two messages within 15 minutes with offers. I’ve only had this happen on a few other items that I’m selling and usually it means something is worth quite a bit of money. I searched for this and found a Coro brooch that was similar but this is not marked and is not the same. Can y’all give me any information on it? Thanks so much and happy new year! IMG_3460.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Can we see the back? That's where the info is. The stones and painted metal on the front do say 30s to me.

3. Raccoon1977

Of course! IMG_3461.jpeg

4. Raccoon1977

There’s nothing on the back to indicate any sort of maker, I searched it with the loupe. Sorry I can’t load a higher resolution image on here, it just wouldn’t let me.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My guess is 1910-1920.
    It is too beautiful to be shown so modestly, so here it is again:

IMG_3460.jpeg IMG_3461.jpeg

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I reckon someone thinks those stones aren't glass. Agree with aj, this is early twentieth. Lovely thing.

Raccoon1977, Figtree3, mirana and 2 others like this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That's my bet too. It definitely looks like it's copying the 20/30s Cartier tutti frutti carved gems. Looks like the "bud" or "berry" (?) shape.

cartiertutti.jpg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Are they glass, though?

9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Looks costume to me, so probably glass? Never hurts to check though. Sometimes the synthetic or lower quality stuff ends up in more modestly priced pieces...

Edit: That is to say, more lower quality or modestly priced than Cartier! I think it's a lovely piece with nice design.

Raccoon1977, kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think they may not be glass. I’d be testing anyhow. The back looks rolled gold and the setting might actually be silver.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

Is there anything on the needle? Screenshot_20240101-184225~2.png

12. Any Jewelry

Ditto.

13. Raccoon1977

so that’s the thing about not being able to load nice, high-quality photos on here, you can’t blow them up! The setting is definitely not rolled gold, it’s actually plated and there is some chipping of the gold plate. I fried my presidium the other day, but I did put my little diamond tester on the stones and it didn’t move at all so they’re definitely glass. The metal the rhinestones are setting in is appears to be pot metal as well. I didn’t test it since it is recessed and I can’t get to it without damaging the brooch.

14. Raccoon1977

That is corrosion. I have looked for any sort of marks and there is nothing.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Raccoon1977

Yes. Definitely glass. :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

You can upload up to 1mb, so you can upload larger and better quality photos than you did. Many of us on the jewellery forum have.;)

Raccoon1977, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny , I've never noticed a problem with the tens of thousands of wonderful high resolution photo's that appear on this site.!

a file size of under 1MB, does not equal low resolution or low quality...:meh:

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I was thinking the setting looked like pot metal, I love those pot metal pins :)

Raccoon1977 likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With that shot of the back I'd be thinking 1915-ish. That's an early rollover clasp and they were gone by the 30s.

Raccoon1977 likes this.
  20. Raccoon1977

Didn’t mean to offend.

Draft saved Draft deleted